• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

erratic shifting automatic

jds535

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
I have a 98 ranger 3.0L automatic 4x4. The truck has 186K on it. It sat for about a year then I bought it an put a motor in it. I did change the tranny filter too at that time.
I have been driving it for about a month now and it just developed a new problem. It has always shifted very smoothly up and down with no slipping or harsh shifting etc. On the highway the other day at about 70 mph I felt a quick bang, then another a minute later. Then it ran the rest of the 30 minute ride home with no problems. I thought maybe I just hit a sharp bump in the road. I ran around town the next day with no problems at all. Took it down the highway the next day and it ran fine on the way up ( 45 minute ride ), on the way home it started banging again and I noticed the tach was going crazy. The tranny was down shifting, taching up to 4500 rpm's, then quickly upshifting thru the gears and then banging and downshifting again very erratically. As I depressed and then pressed the gas pedal again, it felt like it was in gear and not slipping into nuetral, just in a very low gear. I could feel it shift thru 2nd, third etc, and see the tach go down, then hold, then go down again when it shifted again. I got off the highway and drove home on the side roads and almost home it started shifting erratically at lower mph. Does this sound like the PCM? Or is the tranny dying? The CEL came on when it first started and tached way out. I cannot read it so I do know what for. I will have somebody do that.
The only other symptom I have seen is that I feel a bump, sometimes two, when I start off from a stop, then it bumps again when I come to a stop. reading about that on this site leads me to believe that is a common problem with these trucks and may be the driveshaft slip yoke needs grease. I plan on doing this.
Any help you could advise you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

01FordRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check the oil pump. sounds like what happened to the trans on my explorer. oil pump went out and the trans overheated making erratic gear changes and some very loud clunking.
try and replace that before you are in for a whole new trans

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another possibility is your vehicle speed sensor might be bad - a couple of years ago I had problems with my '00 auto not shifting correctly, and replacing the VSS cleared everything up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals