• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Turns Over, Rough Idle, Stalls Out

FATHERnSON

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
I am relatively new to the forum and have another thread posted on my engine, but was able to resolve that issue and am now dealing with something else.

So long story short, I blow a head gasket, break down on the side of the road, and dad tows me home (I'm 16). I pull the heads, they're cracked and valve seats are sunk so I buy new ones and assemble a new valvetrain myself. I also found out I needed new lifters because pretty much all of them were hydro-locked (I believe that's the term). I reassemble it all, finally the engine turns over, idles really rough, then stalls out after about five seconds. I have compression in all cylinders. I was gonna start with looking at the fuel system. Any ideas? I'm kinde stuck. Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What are your compression numbers?
Checked fuel pressure? Should be about 40psi.
IAC valve is working? (Idle Air Control)

FATHERnSON

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
So today it actually decided to turn over and stay running. It's possible I had assembled something incorrectly on the top side and after reassembling the throttle body and air intake system I did it correctly this time. I don't know honestly. What I do know is my compression readings are good (all between 150 and 180). Fuel pressure reaches 65 psi when key is cycled and engine is running, but as soon as it is not running pressure is lost; to my understanding that is a bad check valve right? It is also running a touch rough with the engine jumping to 3000 rpm after ignition then hovering at normal idle range. The engine also once made a weird glugging sound, engine shook, fuel pressure stayed high but rpm dropped. It did steal out once.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your fuel pressure is 65psi then you must have a 1998 or newer truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals