• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emergency brake

joeweger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
1996 Ford ranger I change the rear end out which had 10 inch drum brakes. I bought a 1994 Ford ranger with 9 in.drum brakes. I don't know why but my emergency brake cable seems not to be long enough is it because of the smaller backing plate and everything's moved a little bit? Is there a way to get me more cable slack or is it non adjustable?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Are both sides too short? How much more length do you need? Are you sure you have the cable routed the same way?

joeweger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Are both sides too short? How much more length do you need? Are you sure you have the cable routed the same way?
Yeah I haven't changed that. It is running the same way. Levers go on the secondary shoe right? I probably can reroute it. It's the passenger rear. The cable fits into the backing plate it just seems like there's not enough cable coming out of it to make my lever be in the right position. I do know that changing to 9 inch brakes it does change. Seem like the cable get inside we'll get a little bit longer.

joeweger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
1996 Ford ranger I change the rear end out which had 10 inch drum brakes. I bought a 1994 Ford ranger with 9 in.drum brakes. I don't know why but my emergency brake cable seems not to be long enough is it because of the smaller backing plate and everything's moved a little bit? Is there a way to get me more cable slack or is it non adjustable?
I think someone said change the cam on the emergency brake pedal itself is there a way to put a smaller one on or do I need to go get the one out of the truck I got the rear end out of

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
try looking up the two different axles emergency brake cables and see if they are the same

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
If it helps, I also had to replace parking brake cables last year when I did a rear axle assembly swap.
I measured the length of the old cables, and then I compared pics of aftermarket cables with similar length and matching cable end design.

But the new rear axle backing plate cable holes are too small, and I still need to drill those out to increase the diameter, so I can seat the parking brake cable fittings.

joeweger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I think someone said change the cam on the emergency brake pedal itself is there a way to put a smaller one on or do I need to go get the one out of the truck I got the rear end out of
Was it you that sent me a few pictures of the e brake cable under the driver side bed? If so I can't find them.. I need a picture of the springs that hook on to that cable on there it was you can you send me resend them
try looking up the two different axles emergency brake cables and see if they are the same
Was it you that sent me a few pictures of the e brake cable under the driver side bed? If so I can't find them.. I need a picture of the springs that hook on to that cable under there if it was you can you resend them? Thank you

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, it wasn't me :/
Thing is, I thought all emergency brakes were adjustable??

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought all emergency brakes were adjustable
To a point, the parking brake pedal assembly should take up the slack, kind of self adjusting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals