• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emergency brake pedal is stuck

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.
I have a 2002 Ranger SuperCab 4x4. Today, I stopped and put the emergency brake on* and then when I went to release it, the pedal would not release. It is stuck down and won't release. I'm going to investigate tomorrow morning but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has a known fix. To be clear, it is the pedal itself that won't come up when I pull the release. It's sitting in my heated shop tonight so, if it was a matter of the cold, maybe it will be okay in the morning.

(For context: IO bought the truck in 2007 when I lived in the Portland, Oregon area -- where it is wet, hilly, and not often cold. Since Jan 2019, I've lived in NE Washington (cold, snowy winters) and never had an issue with it.)

*For those who preach against using the emergency brake: I've always used my emergency brake -- for years; all the time. Only today was there an issue. Notably, I recently began experiencing an issue where it was very difficult to get it into park and haven't had time to get a look at that issue so, been using neutral and the emergency brake. Given that I've always used the emergency brake I certainly didn't expect any issue. But, today -- yep.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It could be ice buildup.

It could be a stuck cable.

It could be a stuck mechanism.

You will be the first to know which. :icon_thumby:

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
It could be ice buildup.
Pretty sure it isn't ice buildup as I wasn't in anything deep today.
It could be a stuck cable.
That's what I'm guessing.
It could be a stuck mechanism.
I assume you mean the mechanics inside the drum? If that were the case, I'd expect the pedal to come up and just the brake not release. (But maybe not on a Ranger?) When it didn't release the first time, I pushed on it a bit further with the release held open but it just ratcheted further. No effort to pull the release lever would release the pedal itself.
You will be the first to know which. :icon_thumby:
Yep -- and I'll report back for community benefit. :)

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
@85_Ranger4x4 BTW: I checked out your Ranger Build -- very nice. Must be awesome having that 5.0 in there. Mine has the 4.0 V6 which works pretty well for most everything I do. But a V8; yeah, nice.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure it isn't ice buildup as I wasn't in anything deep today.

That's what I'm guessing.

I assume you mean the mechanics inside the drum? If that were the case, I'd expect the pedal to come up and just the brake not release. (But maybe not on a Ranger?) When it didn't release the first time, I pushed on it a bit further with the release held open but it just ratcheted further. No effort to pull the release lever would release the pedal itself.

Yep -- and I'll report back for community benefit. :)
Did you rule out the actual release mechanism?

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
Did you rule out the actual release mechanism?
No; have not. Since pushing the pedal further down ratcheted a couple additional teeth (based upon sound) that is the first thing I am going to look at is the pedal release itself. But most of the research I've read all spoke about the cable being stuck and such. Yet, again, since I use mine all the time, I wouldn't expect that. In any case, I'll report back! Thanks for the listen and suggestions. Hopefully, the warmth in the shop will magically make it work in the morning :).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If it was the cable you "should" be able to pull up on the pedal while pulling the release

On my '90 when it stuck it was the Z bend in the release handle that was stretched and not letting me pull the release far enough, along with some rust on the pedal assembly. The pedal assembly on a '90 is different than an '02 though... haven't paid enough attention to my Explorers to know the difference though...

Fun fact, your 4.0L likely has the same horsepower as '85's 5.0L, in the sploders I think the 4.0L OHC was 215hp where the 5.0L was 220hp, the 4.0L had a 6k rpm rev limit where the 5.0L had a 5k rpm rev limit though so there's more room on the 5.0L with mods...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fun fact, your 4.0L likely has the same horsepower as '85's 5.0L, in the sploders I think the 4.0L OHC was 215hp where the 5.0L was 220hp, the 4.0L had a 6k rpm rev limit where the 5.0L had a 5k rpm rev limit though so there's more room on the 5.0L with mods...
OHV 4.0 was never more than like 160ish. SOHC was like 207.

Explorers have a rev limiter, mine has secondaries. :derisive:

I do like the torque too, nice on a trail or with my camper.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Eh, memory is iffy at times, but there wasn't much difference between the SOHC (I missed the S above) 4.0L and the 5.0L in stock trim power wise...

Yeah, the 5.0L explorer rev limiter is kinda disappointing, but works fine in tractor pull mode, put the wife in my '00 and in 1st low it does like 12mph at the rev limiter, it'll do that all day :), I have a video somewhere I should post if I figure out how... (I have pictures down, just never done a video). One of these days when I get to building the '00 I'll get a tuner and move the rev limiter up and get a cam and a couple other things...

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
No; have not. Since pushing the pedal further down ratcheted a couple additional teeth (based upon sound) that is the first thing I am going to look at is the pedal release itself. But most of the research I've read all spoke about the cable being stuck and such. Yet, again, since I use mine all the time, I wouldn't expect that. In any case, I'll report back! Thanks for the listen and suggestions. Hopefully, the warmth in the shop will magically make it work in the morning :).
its been warmer the last few days. i would think its something mechanical....we have got plenty of snow the last few days and its been freezing at night so it could be froze/iced up.

hello from priest river! nice to see another local!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck with the pedal

I have questions about relying on it though, UNless it is downhill going forward, otherwise it has limited effect.
As far as I am aware if it is downhill going backwards I rely on nothing less than a 4x4"x 12" wood chock to insure it doesn't go anywhere, and if it's steep enough one on both wheels, unless it's actually too steep to feel comfortable with, then I'll consider that a no parking zone. Anywhere non extreme the 1st gear is enough for me. And of course there's sometimes a curb for varied use

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
OHV 4.0 was never more than like 160ish. SOHC was like 207.
According to my specs, the EFI-SOHC (which is what I have) is 205hp. And that works well; mashing the pedal, it just gets up and goes.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
When I bought my 04 the parking pedal was almost all the way down and would sometimes do the same as yours. I was lucky and was able to press the pedal while releasing the ratchet and mine would return. After I redid the rear brakes it never happened again so I always figured it was the pedal travel was now much less and it was on a bad tooth on the release mechanism. Hopefully it's something simple like that.

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
Well, it's unstuck -- mostly. (I suspect the improvement came from sitting in the shop overnight which is heated right now). And I remember that I did plow through some deep snow yesterday (preparing for the next storm) so maybe some ice buildup.

But, it is still not fully there. The pedal is sluggish -- it releases (I can hear that) but doesn't come up all the way by itself -- like @CrabGuy described. I can raise it the rest of the way with my hand or foot. I've been moving it a bunch trying to loosen it but it doesn't seem to be improving any further. It's like it's catching on something that I have to manually pull it past.

The cable looks clean (photos) but I thought there was supposed to be a helper spring on the cable itself? I've seen that in photos of some Rangers but maybe they were added?

Attachments

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
FIXED! Partially ice buildup (I believe) and part dufus. There's a little connection box (part of my backup camera I installed) that had come loose yesterday. I noticed it hanging down but just moved it out of the way to finish my plowing. Well, moving it out of the way put it in the path of the release mechanism :sneaky:. Putting the box back where it belongs (up out of the way) let's everything work as it should.

Lesson learned? Don't be a dufus. Well, probably not learned that lesson yet. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals