• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Eec-v 5.0l into an eec-iv Ranger wiring options

cmwright14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So im in the middle of swapping a 5.0 / a4od 4x4 combo from a 95 Bronco into my 89 Ranger. The ranger started its life as a 2.9l / 5speed, then about 10 years ago i converted it to a 4.0 / auto with the help of a donor 91 explorer i had. After going through 3 A4ld’s over the years and finally blowing the 4.0, i figure the next logical step is a 5.0 swap.
I picked up the 5.0 engine, trans, transfer case all together, and it came with the matching ecu and part of the engine harness. By “part of” i mean everything is plugged into the engine but the harness was cut about 12” further downstream..with no ecu plug.
What would be my best option as far as integrating the eec-v engine into the eec-iv chassis? Ive read that the ecu connection is much different between the 2 generations, so would i be better off sourcing a harness and ecu from a eec-iv 5.0/ a4od combo and then making the appropriate conversion from there? Ps im also considering using a stand alone tranny controller as far as the transmission goes. Thanks

Attachments

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would get the Ford wiring manuals for both vehicles on ebay and then doing the re-wiring as needed from the manuals.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EEC-IV is 60 wire
EEC-V is 104 wire
So quite a difference

You need the YEAR of the 5.0l donor vehicle to color match what wires are what on the engine side, so you can match that to the PCM(ECU) connector

Outside of the 12volt and ground wires for the engine and PCM, there would be no crossovers

A4OD?
Is it an AOD or AODE?
Or E4OD?

cmwright14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea sorry meant E4OD not a4od lol. I think i've gotten so used to "A4ld" rolling off of my tongue that i combined the two. Also i was under the impression that the 95 model was eec-v, but i just took the ecu out of the box of random stuff that came with the swap and i see that it is actually an eec-iv ecu. Ecu part number "F5TF-12A650-JB. Newb mistakes all over the place haha

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if it has 60 pins its EEC-IV

3 rows of 20 pins
4 rows of 26 would be EEC-V

Part number wouldn't tell you what EEC version it is, but the F5(1995) and T = Light Truck & Bronco I (1983-up) can
Ranger/BII was 7 instead of T

12A650 is engine computer in almost every year

I think 1996 and up got the EEC-V in full size trucks

You can buy new stand alone V8 engine harness, they may be able to add the E4OD wiring if its not included
$600

You can find used ones, they do popup every now and then, needs to be for V8 with E4OD

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Hi again, I have searched for companies here on trs re: standalone harnesses , ( painless wiring , ron francis )etc but no go for 91 4.0l .
Is there a company or website that you might recommend?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I don't but someone else might chime in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals