• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EEC question

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno about California (they may be different) but RBV's elsewhere didn't get CEL until '88 or '89, long after the 2.8 died so no matter what it shouldn't come on.
I apologize for the misinformation. I am looking at the 83 / 84 2.8L diagram right now and you are absolutely right!

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks well it seems I got a bigger problem I checked compression and it's sitting round 50-60 so I can't see how thats helping it at all!!! :( I feel like I need to take a really long vaction!!!!!!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That sucks, man, and I'm sorry to hear it. Don't get discouraged, and I hope that you run into a way to get the truck fixed up. Good luck.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks well it seems I got a bigger problem I checked compression and it's sitting round 50-60 so I can't see how thats helping it at all!!! :( I feel like I need to take a really long vaction!!!!!!
Don't be too discouraged!! My truck ran pretty good, started up on the first revolution of the engine, but was pushing major league oil in to the air filter. Then it would end up burned out the exhaust.

I checked the left cylinder bank and found the cylinders were around 75 PSI, 100 PSI being the lowest acceptable. I was surprised she ran as well as she did.

Right now I am in the midst of pulling the engine to do a re-ring / re-bearing / re-gasket. I was able to buy the kit (all brand name parts) on eBay for $150 shipped. I am not upset at all (though the guy I bought it from is a diesel mechanic and said that all it needed was a tune up... yeah right!) because I am going to clean and paint the engine and engine bay, clean up the wiring, and convert to Duraspark II ignition.

I pulled the wiring / vacuum lines last night, what a rat's nest. The funny thing is, the engine itself is tiny. But all of the auxiliary components (needed, and not so needed) add the bulk. I can now access the plugs on the right bank which was a near impossibility before.

If you do pull the engine be very careful with the wiring and the vacuum lines. I was very careful and still snapped several brittle lines. I also found some wires where the insulation was so decayed that bare wires were rubbing together. Not good at all. The good thing for me is, 90% of the vac. lines and wiring are going bye bye. I will probably test each individual component (solenoids, etc), clean them, and put them on my eBay store so someone else can keep their Ranger emissions compliant.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That sounds like a great project build ("rebuild"?), Forcus. Hope you post your progress; it ought to be a really nice rig when you're done.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds like a great project build ("rebuild"?), Forcus. Hope you post your progress; it ought to be a really nice rig when you're done.
Thanks! I probably will post a new thread so I don't whore up this poor guy's or anyone elses!

My only problem is taking a break and snapping pictures. When I get rolling, I like to keep going! But I am fully documenting my as-good-as-factory spray bomb paint job right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals