• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Early (EEC-IV) vs. Late (EEC-V) OHV 4.0 bracket & bits compatibility

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recently picked up a 4.0 long-block with intake manifold from a '94 Ranger and I'll need to pick up the assorted bits that turns it into an operational engine - i.e. accessories, brackets, fuel lines, etc. I'll be running EEC-IV, so I realize any sensors will need to come from a pre-'95 donor due to the different connectors that come along with EEC-V. But what about accessory brackets and fuel lines and whatever else I might not be thinking of? Can they come from ANY 4L OHV engine? i.e. Are they all the same?

Doug904

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the accessories are the same on all 4.0 OHV's Same with the fuel lines upto 98', when they went returnless. So you'll need to stick with 90-97 stuff for the most part.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got it - thanks! Interesting thing is that it looks like there are at least 3 different alternator brackets for that time range. They all look to be basically the same, but maybe the tensioner/idler got moved around a bit due to packaging requirements. My plan is to run the alternator as the only accessory - EHPAS for steering - so it might be helpful to have some options for mounting the alternator.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
you will want the later style alternator bracket, the early one is a stupid design

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
you will want the later style alternator bracket, the early one is a stupid design
Okay, looks like there was a "new" one starting in model year 1994 ( F37E-10239-EC), then another starting in 1998 (F87E-10239-CA ), and then another one starting in 2001 (1L5E-10239-AA). The three mentioned above all do seem similar whereas the early one is easy to pick out.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the early, pre 94 version is the one I am referencing as stupid, it puts the tensioner on top to the driver side of the alternator

noog67

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have some stuff from a 97 4.0. I got an engine for my 99 and the guy gave me the engine harness with computer still on it (auto trans) along with the complete 97 engine. Pretty sure all the brackets and everything is in my garage from when I changed my engine. If you can use any of it you can have it ill probably just throw it at some point anyway. Its all how I got it so dirty but should still be serviceable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals