• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drum shoes recommendation

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wrapping up the process of cherry picking brake parts for my 2007 ranger, I'm now just missing what I should use on the rear.
Thus far I've ordered slotted rotors and EBC Yellow pads for the front, and the 10" Aerostar drums for the rear.

As of this point I'm just trying to find something similarly aggressive to the EBC for the rear. Does anyone know of any shoes that are extra 'grabby'? I wouldn't expect a performance shoe to exist but heres hoping!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would be careful with "extra grabby" shoes on the rear. These little truck are already prone to locking up the rear wheels without any help.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My interest in such a shoe is for the sake of balancing purposes, in an attempt to keep the front from losing traction a significant time before the rear.

I haven't started putting the parts on the truck but it's an issue I've heard about on other vehicles.

Referring to what you had said, would the ranger benefit from a change in brake bias moving more towards the front? Its been my experience that unless there's extremely low traction during (ice, not even gravel) the rear brakes could be performing better. I would suppose it is possible however that mine were just due for replacement, so perhaps my experience is different than that of others

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't feel it's a bias issue... more like water intrusion... shoe contamination... parking brake cable issues and improper adjustment of the shoes. The other issue is there isn't any weight on the rear... while braking weight is transferred to the front wheels and the conditions I stated are amplified.

However your results may vary... I just don't think an aggressive brake shoe on the rear is the answer. I'm curious to see what you find out...

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I agree with @Uncle Gump 100%.

That said, I struggled for years to find a decent shoe for my 98. Always had vibrations or difficulties getting the adjustments right for more than a few months. I tried four different sets over about 5 years and finally settled on these: Centric HDs

They are just an HD shoe, and nothing special but I like them and would highly recommend them. They've been great for almost three years now and haven't had to do a thing to adjust them since install.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Centric HD shoes has struck me as being the best there is for the 10" drum, unless someone has better experiences with another product, that's the one I'll likely go with

CARiD has a universal 11" drum assembly listed but I feel its unnecessary for my application and for the price, most people would be better off doing the disk conversion

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I agree, if you install better performing front brakes, you also need better performing rear brakes. When I installed better brake pads on the front, I had a little better braking but the front wheels were dusting up like crazy because the fronts were doing most of the work. I found some brake shoes made by Raybestos called Super Stop and installed them. My braking improved more and the dusting of the front wheels was almost eliminated. Braking balance IS important. I have around 200K miles on those Super Stop shoes and they are still working great and have more miles left on them.

Unfortunately, I think Raybestos stopped making the Super Stop shoes. I am sure there are other shoes available with high performance friction material.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Drum shoes are a lot more variable due to changes in adjustment. My 10" drums are just running AZ shoes, but I usually have no issues with them (other than the crappy ABS). However one time I had lots of wear and dusting on the fronts plus poor braking - I had the truck inspected and they did not properly readjust the rears. Then I realized I had not been pushing the parking brake down far enough to really activate the adjusters. Once I readjusted them and began using the parking brake properly that all went away.

Anyway, I'd be far more concerned that everything was installed correctly back there and properly adjusted than I would be about what compound the shoes were. The compound has mostly to do with fade and heat issues, and I seriously doubt you're overheating the drums unless you're running really loaded a lot. You probably want a street compound that works well when cold on the drums, because they will most always be cold.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My experience with brakes tells me a higher friction compound makes a big difference. I tow my race car all over the country and the original brakes were marginal at best for that. That was even with the use of trailer brakes. Installing higher friction compound front and rear made braking something not to be concerned about. Yes, it improved fade resistance, but also improved braking force considerably.

I don't have a problem with cold braking either. I do know what poor cold braking is though. My race car is a prime example of that. Fortunately, we have a warm up lap to get them heated up before they need to work optimally.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I like flip flops...

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I do believe I found the cause of my issue today, some knucklehead didn't even attempt to remove the rust from the front rotors, let alone turn (or more appropriately in this case replace) them. The inner pads, passenger and driver's side have a rather large bevel cut into them from riding on an 1/8" deep lip of rust.

As I am waiting on replacement rotors to arrive, I decided to try and at least try and give myself a chance of stopping.... So I beat the heck out of those rotors until the rusty bits were at least smooth

Heres some before:
IMG_20200505_124507.jpgIMG_20200505_124447.jpgIMG_20200505_124541.jpgIMG_20200505_124615.jpg

And after shots:
IMG_20200505_133134.jpgIMG_20200505_133216.jpg

I also did a test fit of my new EBC pads
IMG_20200505_134037.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals