• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drop Shackles with Explorer Leaf Springs Question?

TXBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now..
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 89 BII and got a set of Explorer Leaf springs for it because the old ones were shot. When I added the Explorer leafs with stock shackles it added some lift to the rear. To level out the front I could get some leveling coils because it only added about 2 inches.

My question is if I also got a set of the Chevy Drop Shackles as well and added them to the rear, what front coil springs would I need to get to level out my BII? And what shocks and sizes do you guys recommend? (need new shocks bad all the way around..)

Finally, is this a good idea? Is there anything else I would need to replace/change? I plan on making some extended radius arms later on.

If this is an "OK" idea, how much lift should this give me, guestimate? Trying to achieve about 4 inches of suspension lift..I already have a 2in body lift.

Thanks for everyone's time!!!!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Chevy shackles should give you another 1.5" or so.

For the front you'll need axle drop brackets if you want 4" and still be able to align it correctly (2" lift is about max without brackets). Might be best to just get a 3" or 4" suspension kit for it.

TXBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now..
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of what I was thinking, be better to just get a lift kit. Just not feasible at the moment, since I would need to buy new tires and such to make it look right.

But I do need to get shocks now and like to level the front end with the back now being raised about 2in because of the Explorer leafs.

Would you recommend getting the Skyjacker leveling coils with shocks? Looks to be the 132 soft ride coils with N8052 and N8041 shocks..

Then later on down the road lift it correctly.. Wish I could do it all now or at least get shocks now that I could use with the lift. Just don't know if I could make that work but hate throwing money away.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That should work fine. The Nitro gas shocks should ride a bit firmer with better control than their hydro (non-gas) shocks without being overly harsh.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals