• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver's Front Bumpstop (D35 TTB 4x4)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That is the style I remember as being the longest. I thought about chopping it down, especially the side metal piece but found another shorter one.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
86 2.9l 2wd
20220727_105241.jpg

93 2.3 2wd
20220727_105544.jpg

93 4.0 4x4

20220727_105633.jpg
20220727_105629.jpg

91 4.0 4x4 no motor, unknown source of bumpstop
20220727_105759.jpg

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wish I could pin your post to be the top google result for bumpstops; that's exactly what I wanted to see. Vehicle 3's axle position looks just like mine. I wonder how much dampening those bumps even do, with so little "jounce" before the metal bracket "stop".

I don't see any reason not to ride on my cutoff as-is for now unless a hard hit snaps the bolt or something. Now that we've confirmed the 4x4s are shorter, I'd also be comfortable buying new, but I'm at least gonna wait and see if I need countershaft shims in my trans, rather than killing my wallet on shipping multiple orders.

EDIT: So for future reference, I didn't end up buying a new bumpstop. Now, a month later, they're marked "discontinued", so clearly I missed the boat on that one. Hope the modified 2wd holds up, or I guess I'll have to fabricate something.

Last edited:

96zjlaredo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" front leveling kit.
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Could anyone with the D35 TTB stock in their truck share a picture and a height measurement for the driver's front bumpstop? I feel like the stop in this position is different between 4x2 and 4x4, but I can't find any hard info. Thanks in advance.
I have 1.5' spring spacers on mind due to the springs sagging so I don't know how much this will help you. Sorry for the blurry pic. My phone didn't want to focus on the measuring tape.

1665093630157.png
1665093662028.png

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice, thank you. Always good to have more pics & measurements.

If anyone ever comes up with a source for TTB bumpstops other than the junkyard, I'd be interested in that as well.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I didn't see it mentioned but figured I'd ask, did you swap the coil buckets with your conversion? If memory serves me right they are different 4x2 vs 4x4

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So the buckets were one of the things I looked into after I noticed the bump was contacting. Per various sources, the buckets are meant to be the same. There's also no difference in shock length. I always thought this was kind of dodgy, because mine explicitly have "4x2" stamped into them, but the buckets from my crossmember donor truck are long gone, and I'm not really in the mood to grind & punch the rivets out to rescue the set off the lone 4x4 Ranger at my junkyard.

Even if the buckets were different (or bolted to the frame at a different height?), that shouldn't be functionally different towards ride height than having different spring lengths, right? Like if the 2wd upper coil seat sat 2" higher, that would put my axle closer to the frame, but you should be able to compensate with a 2" spacer.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but during my testing, I established that with the longer 2wd springs on the 4x4 axle, I was already approaching the alignment limits of lengthening my springs. I could jam another 1.5" puck in there, completely hose my camber, and still not get the 2wd driver's bump completely off the diff.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
So the buckets were one of the things I looked into after I noticed the bump was contacting. Per various sources, the buckets are meant to be the same. There's also no difference in shock length. I always thought this was kind of dodgy, because mine explicitly have "4x2" stamped into them, but the buckets from my crossmember donor truck are long gone, and I'm not really in the mood to grind & punch the rivets out to rescue the set off the lone 4x4 Ranger at my junkyard.

Even if the buckets were different (or bolted to the frame at a different height?), that shouldn't be functionally different towards ride height than having different spring lengths, right? Like if the 2wd upper coil seat sat 2" higher, that would put my axle closer to the frame, but you should be able to compensate with a 2" spacer.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but during my testing, I established that with the longer 2wd springs on the 4x4 axle, I was already approaching the alignment limits of lengthening my springs. I could jam another 1.5" puck in there, completely hose my camber, and still not get the 2wd driver's bump completely off the diff.
I've got both relatively handy and had just assumed they were different because they're identified as such. I'll throw a measuring tape on both sets and let you know the results. FWIW my 6 inch lift only extended the bumpstops about 4 inches over stock length, which is weird and I've never thought about it until now (the lift has been on the truck for better than a decade).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
FWIW my 6 inch lift only extended the bumpstops about 4 inches over stock length, which is weird and I've never thought about it until now (the lift has been on the truck for better than a decade).
It's for increased wheel travel/articulation.
No need to lower the bumpstop any more than you have to, it only needs to be lowered enough to keep the shock from fully bottoming out on compression.

Also IIRC, 2WD and 4x4 coil springs are the same (or at least, the same springs come with, say, a 2WD 6" TIB lift and a 4WD 6" TTB lift). The difference in height is in the beam itself.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
It's for increased wheel travel/articulation.
No need to lower the bumpstop any more than you have to, it only needs to be lowered enough to keep the shock from fully bottoming out on compression.

Also IIRC, 2WD and 4x4 coil springs are the same (or at least, the same springs come with, say, a 2WD 6" TIB lift and a 4WD 6" TTB lift). The difference in height is in the beam itself.
I don't plan on changing a thing, it works well and just barely doesn't bottom the shocks out.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll throw a measuring tape on both sets and let you know the results.
Absolutely, please do. I am curious, and we can never have too many measurements for the stuff that's getting older and harder to find.

Also IIRC, 2WD and 4x4 coil springs are the same
So when I was working on this project, I swear I read a thread where somebody talked about putting 2wd coils in a 4x4 truck to net a modest lift. Never been able to find it again.* IIRC the 4.0 has different springs available than the smaller engines, and there are different springs between standard and extended cabs. It's possible that the differences I'm observing don't reflect "2wd vs 4x4", but rather another discrepancy between the donor truck and mine. I also don't know how much any of my used springs may be sagging from age.

What I can say for sure is that I have the coils that came in my 2wd truck, and the coils that came with my junkyard D35 TTB, and my stock coils are considerably longer. They're longer free, laying on the shop floor, and they remain longer installed.

If I ever took exact measurements, I don't know where I put them, but stock unloaded, my truck had rake. Post 4x4 swap with donor springs, truck still had rake. With the D35 on the 2wd springs, the truck now sits level front to rear. I also had to redo my alignment, because installing the 2wd springs increased my camber. Off the top of my head, I would estimate the longer springs are +1.5-2" installed.

-----

*EDIT: Maybe this? I literally have no idea at this point what my donor axle is originally out of.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals