• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drilled and slotted rotors.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
"just stick with a quality standard rotor anymore"

What do you get? cause there's an a$$load of em on rockauto. There's coated and non coated and only the non braking surfaces are coated. Learn me.
When I changed the rear brakes on the 2011, I went with Motorcraft rotors. They are pretty beefy and vented. The only thing I upgraded was the brake pads. Again Motorcraft but these are super duty rated pads. We'll see how well they are actually doing when I do the brake inspection soon. They looked pretty good last fall but were still pretty new at that point. Winter seems to be when the rear rotors take the biggest beating.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Most people don't realize that their factory pads were ceramic and they replace them with semi-metallic because that's generally the first thing the parts store has on the shelf. Even my 09 came with ceramic pads. If you put on "normal" off the shell semi-metallic pads, it's a downgrade. I've been using Bendix and Wagner ceramic pads for a long time and never have an issue. They wear well and don't destroy rotors.

Another point since sarge mentioned rear brakes, most people ignore their rear brakes. Your front brakes may do more than the rears but that doesn't mean the rear brakes do nothing. If you let the rears go to the point of not functioning your transferring all that work to the front and they are gonna wear out and heat up alot more. Especially important with drum brakes which need to be adjusted. The self adjusters cannot be trusted to do their job. I clean, lube, and adjust my rear brakes once a year. They rarely need new shoes (every 5 or 6 years being very very conservative.)

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Most people don't realize that their factory pads were ceramic and they replace them with semi-metallic because that's generally the first thing the parts store has on the shelf. Even my 09 came with ceramic pads. If you put on "normal" off the shell semi-metallic pads, it's a downgrade. I've been using Bendix and Wagner ceramic pads for a long time and never have an issue. They wear well and don't destroy rotors.
I was a bit surprised that the Motorcraft super duty pads are organic. With the stuff that I do, I figured I would give them a whirl regardless. The rims aren't getting any dirtier from brake dust and they don't seem to show any signs of fading when I'm hauling a load.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I was a bit surprised that the Motorcraft super duty pads are organic. With the stuff that I do, I figured I would give them a whirl regardless. The rims aren't getting any dirtier from brake dust and they don't seem to show any signs of fading when I'm hauling a load.
I'm pretty sure the "new" organic pads are nothing like the crap from 20+ years ago. At least I hope so. Last time I used "organic" pads they were awful. Dust everywhere and they were toast within a year. They left wierd marks all over the rotors as well that I assume were from pad material burning off. This was on my Ramcharger which was a tank of a truck but it had MASSIVE rear brakes (Dana 70).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals