• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

door lock problem

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New member here,been lurking for about 7 years ,had a 94 Ranger that I bought as a commuter that had a salvage title. It only had 65k miles on it when I bought it but as it was such a good truck I figured on replacing it as it now has 140k miles on it and I figured on "upgrading". Well after searching for a low mileage 4.0 with power windows etc. for about a year I came across a 2000 xlt 4x4 with only 44k miles. It is a nice truck but it has some minor problems. With all the manuals I have I don,t have one for a 2000. 1999 is my closest and to be honest I don,t think the aftermarket autoworld type manuals are worth a $h!t so I have come here to the pro,s.
My problem is with the power door locks,when you hit the button on either side all you hear is a click as it "tries" to lock or unlock. In researching this I found a box on the right side of the steering wheel under the dash that has what appears to be about 8 relays in it. There is no mention of this in the owners manual. I have the complete shop manual set for my F-350 and I am sure that is where I would find it if I had the same for this truck,I just don,t want to buy another manual at this time. At last count I have about 15 and only can use 1. Sooo can someone tell me what those relays power other than the door locks and does anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.
JSM

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Autozone has free online manuals with wiring diagrams.

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the info both sites have helped. I have 3(so far) issues the door locks don't work but I can here them "click", the cigar lighter blows fuses and from what I can tell it is connected to the data link below the steering wheel ,and the interior light sometimes stays on. From what I can tell so far is that they are all connected to the central security module (what ever that is) and I am thinking that there is a problem with that.Anyone ever have any experience with that?

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
None with all of them but the interior lights are usually the switches in the latch. Spraying WD40 in the latch and open and close the door a few times fixes that. As for the door locks, see if there's power on one lead to a lock actuator when the switch is operated. Check if there's ground on both leads without. If they click, the actuator may be bad. Thumping the door with a rubber where the rivet holds them on the door may have them work again for a short time and will need to be replaced. Did they quit at the same time?

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
None with all of them but the interior lights are usually the switches in the latch. Spraying WD40 in the latch and open and close the door a few times fixes that. As for the door locks, see if there's power on one lead to a lock actuator when the switch is operated. Check if there's ground on both leads without. If they click, the actuator may be bad. Thumping the door with a rubber where the rivet holds them on the door may have them work again for a short time and will need to be replaced. Did they quit at the same time?
I just got this truck so I don't know if they quit at the same time or not, they are getting power as I can see them move little and I can hear them. I looked at it again tonight and I think you may be right about needing actuators,I was going on the assumption that they stopped at the same time but that may not be the case and may have been one reason why the previous owner traded it in.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
you may need to replace the actuators, mine did the same thing on my 89 b II
I change them and now they work fine

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: As said before I just got this truck so I was looking for a more serious problem as both actuators were out. Well I ordered the FOB remote a week ago as that didn't come with the truck,and then this friday I ordered the actuators from Summit using the cheapest
shipping option of coarse and darned if they weren't here Sat. afternoon. I installed them today which was a piece of cake and low and behold they worked great. Then I programed the FOB's and after a few tries(got to turn the key ALL the way to on) they worked too. So I am now a happy camper,I even had time to detail the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals