• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome light positions?

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Morning!
I'm working on some electrical issues on my 94 ext cab ranger.

PO took all the bulbs out of the dome light. I took down the light switch, cleaned up and greased the physical switch that moves and put 2 bulbs in.

I can get one or the other bulb to turn off, both to turn on, but I can't get both bulbs to turn off. I 'feel' like there's 4 possible switch positions and I have to finesse it to get one bulb or the other to turn off.

My main headlight switch is currently ripped apart and my drivers door ajar sensor is stuck closed.

Is it a safe bet that one of the two issues above is affecting the ability to turn off both bulbs? Or is my switch shot?

I ordered a EVTM manual last night, so hopefully will be able to some of my own trouble shooting soon.

Thanks!

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Is the door jamb switch stuck in the "switch" closed position or the door closed position?

Those door switches are open with door closed and close with the door open.

That said... you need to address any concern with door switches before blaming the dome lamp swith.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
To expand on what @Uncle Gump said...

One of the bulbs at the dome light is turned on and off by the switch in the dome light fixture. The other is turned on and off by either the door ajar circuit or by turning the panel light dimmer switch all the way on until it "clicks". So, if your door ajar circuit is messed up, or the dimmer switch is always "on", it will keep the dome light on all the time and wear down the battery. That is why someone removed the bulb.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to both. I will come back to the dome light after fixing the door ajar circuit and headlight switch circuit.

Appreciate it. I'm trying to get a lot done as quickly as possible and need to slow down and address one thing at a time

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Appreciate it. I'm trying to get a lot done as quickly as possible and need to slow down and address one thing at a time
Slow down. If you run out of stuff to fix, you'll become bored. And then you start having to break stuff, just to give yourself something to do.

I ordered a EVTM manual last night,
Excellent! You'll enjoy having it, and you will find that it's money well spent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals