• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I buy this Ranger?? Educate me please!!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good one right there. Bet not many people knew that Ford actually did make an aircraft. And a beautiful one at that. Beautiful sounding as well. You just can't beat round engines (radials) for mechanical sounds. And three of them to boot. I've flown in a B-17 (Collings Foundation) . Awesome experience. Unfortunately it crashed last year. Still, I'd do it again in a New York City Minute. Waiting on the next time they are here to fly in the B-24. You only live once.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That's a good one right there. Bet not many people knew that Ford actually did make an aircraft. And a beautiful one at that. Beautiful sounding as well. You just can't beat round engines (radials) for mechanical sounds. And three of them to boot. I've flown in a B-17 (Collings Foundation) . Awesome experience. Unfortunately it crashed last year. Still, I'd do it again in a New York City Minute. Waiting on the next time they are here to fly in the B-24. You only live once.
Never had the cash when I’ve been to an airshow with those planes. Would love to have a ride in an old warplane and a Ford trimotor would be great, too.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never had the cash when I’ve been to an airshow with those planes. Would love to have a ride in an old warplane and a Ford Tri-motor would be great, too.
I'm single, live alone, no kids. Money in the bank, no debt. No problem. I even bought a good friend of mine a ride on the same B-17. Doing it again when the B-24 is next here. Even though the B-17 I flew on crashed, I'll do it again. I'm 58, I've been around. I don't care if my time comes while flying an old WWII bomber. That would be a great way to go, far as I'm concerned. My Dad, who is in Heaven, would be proud.

Far as the OP and the Ranger. Sounds like it's your call. Even though it's carbed, it sounds like more of a nuisance than the computer fuel injected ones are. And blown transmission, I'm walkin.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe my grandpa worked on B17s in England during WWII. Said that anyone who volunteered to be a tail gunner in one got an automatic promotion of several ranks and often did not return alive, I guess most of the planes came back pretty shot up on a regular basis.

Thuddles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
?
Make / Model
?
Transmission
Manual
Ok he said he's not sure on the milage, thanks for the help guys, he only wants a few 100 bucks and its been in the family for a while so i think i'll go through with it.

I think i still know a guy that will be able to pass smog so i might just go through with the conversion anyway!!

i don't know jack sh*t about airplanes though so you guys have fun

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I believe my grandpa worked on B17s in England during WWII. Said that anyone who volunteered to be a tail gunner in one got an automatic promotion of several ranks and often did not return alive, I guess most of the planes came back pretty shot up on a regular basis.
I got to see one up close and crawl around in it at the mighty 8th museum in Savannah. Seeing one flying is way different then looking at one close up. Flying, they are beautiful machines. Up close you wonder how the hell it even gets off the ground. Its just a puzzle of randomly riveted together poorly fit patch panels. Parts and controls just welded or bolted crudely back together. Repairs I wouldn't even do to a geo metro...

But the things were basically indestructable. They could fly with 3 engines blown off, missing noses or chunks of the wings. Remarkable planes if for nothing else but their ability survive practically any damage and still make it home. I think only the A-10 is even close to the toughness of a B-17.

Imagine being able to take this much damage and still fly home and land.

Recall_B-17.jpg

c4d2e67df8d6dcfc9923230613ca284b.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Kinda ironic that Boeing now makes planes that randomly drop out of the sky for no aparent reason...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
They just don’t make ‘em like they used to.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
How about this?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Whats up everyone! I have the option to buy an early ford ranger i believe 83. It was supposedly used as a Forest Ranger truck, the odometer is pushing 200k, and the standard transmission just went out. i think its 4x4 too...

Whats it worth?
Do i even bother?
Is this a good model year?
Pro's Cons of early model ranger ownership?
Whats it gonna cost to replace a transmission?
Is there costly maintenance thats required?
Educate me please!!!

I'm looking for a small work truck that i can use to go to the hardware store and small hauling jobs. Not looking for a daily driver, just want something I can rely on when i need it and be able to work on it if something needs replacing... Thanks for any and all help.
Too many variables to estimate value. Being an 83 it must have a 2.8 (most common) or that little diesel with 58 horse.
Being in So Cal it’s most likely solid body wise.
The 2.8 is not the best friend to the non mechanical among us. Over all a bad head design leading to overheating and head failure. Cylinder 2&3 and 4&5 exhaust ports are side by side with no coolant flow between causing a bad hot spot. It also requires valve adjustments on a regular basis which is most often overlooked by the “drive it till it pukes “ variety of motorists. If you are a gear head and enjoy garage time things can be done to aid in preventing failures.
200k is a LOT of miles for a pushrod engine ( 2.8 is a pushrod engine). Rubber valve stem seal are proven to deteriorate causing a nice blue smoke mosquito fog.
For a guy who doesn’t mind getting a little dirty the trans issue wouldn’t be a problem. Although you didn’t mention what failed ( clutch or trans proper). For a guy who takes it to a trans shop it gonna cost ya.
Over all, for the right price I would get it. It’s easy to work on. Cheap for most parts. And you have a whole web site full of opinions and half ass knowledge to help point you to your next failure or success.
Good luck.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blue smoke mosquito fog! LMAO! Seen a guy driving around here in a late model sedan of Toyota or Nissan manufacture. Exactly that. Looks like he's burning more oil than gasoline.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
[
Blue smoke mosquito fog! LMAO! Seen a guy driving around here in a late model sedan of Toyota or Nissan manufacture. Exactly that. Looks like he's burning more oil than gasoline.
sounds like my brothers old Vega.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never had the cash when I’ve been to an airshow with those planes. Would love to have a ride in an old warplane and a Ford trimotor would be great, too.
Ford made MANY B-24’s. Granted they liked to catch on fire and crash but they didn’t design them. Trade off against a 17 is more bombspeed and range.

And I would not have a 2.8 if I lived in California. That is painting yourself in a really bad corner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals