• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY Toolbox for the back of your Super Cab

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once upon a time, I had a DeeZee toolbox for a stepside, like a moron I got rid of it. I bought a fullsize box cheap, cut it down and TIG'd it back togeher. Wasn't happy with the latch system and I got tired of it in the back of my truck. Then came this box. A member on RF came up with a box like this, but alot fancier. I'm a welder, I don't like woodwork, so this is what I came up with.

3 Separate compartments, 3 separate lids, works really slick! Comments/Questions/Etc welcome! Somehow I managed to fit everything from the old toolbox into this box, still with room to spare and extra items in there.

Attachments

Revhendo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Oh now that is slick. You kept that removable? I like the flashlight holder and would think the fire extinguisher could mount up there for easy access, too.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Be careful this can eat up the back of your seats! My son had a speaker box in the back and it was pushed all the way to the rear wall and still it ate a hole in the back of the passenger seat. Looks like you have flip up seats ours are the side facing hidden ones.

I got one of those gorilla plastic boxes and placed it up on the step at the back, made a support for the front and thats what I use. Just a single box but it holds all the loose stuff that get thrown back there. Screwed the FE to the rear under the window on driver side, put the flashlight holder up in the curved portion of the rear quarter panel so it can be reached without having to put the seat back forward. my cb speaker is also attached to the rear wall under the window. all up and out of way.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh now that is slick. You kept that removable? I like the flashlight holder and would think the fire extinguisher could mount up there for easy access, too.
Yep it ain't anchored. Problem being is that the damn door has the seatbelt latch in it, so it may not clear it. I used to have the flashlight and the extinguisher mounted to the area where the tire jack and wrenches are at.

Be careful this can eat up the back of your seats! My son had a speaker box in the back and it was pushed all the way to the rear wall and still it ate a hole in the back of the passenger seat. Looks like you have flip up seats ours are the side facing hidden ones.

I got one of those gorilla plastic boxes and placed it up on the step at the back, made a support for the front and thats what I use. Just a single box but it holds all the loose stuff that get thrown back there. Screwed the FE to the rear under the window on driver side, put the flashlight holder up in the curved portion of the rear quarter panel so it can be reached without having to put the seat back forward. my cb speaker is also attached to the rear wall under the window. all up and out of way.
Got it! I got tired of not having the full 6ft of bed. I carry a ton of wood blocks for jacking up the truck and stuff and i placed a board inside the slots in the plastic bedliner and that holds the wood up front plus traffic cones plus triangles...

:icon_thumby: Thanks all!

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Used to carry lots of stuff in my truck tool boxes, but found that they became too convenient for carrying everything...so now I force myself to only carry a medium sized tool bag. That way I have to be real selective on what I carry, with no room for extra stuff that becomes dead weight. Now I always have room to carry the dog and other spur of the moment stuff when the occasion arises. As for speakers, well I grew up with AM radio in the dash, so anything fancier that FM stereo is wasted on my old worn-out ears...so I think four speakers is way overkill.
That's a cool box design though.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its. mazing how much stuff you can cram back there. I used to have enough stuff to survive for days an fix almost anything. Huge pain to take it all out tho. Now I have a similar setup to yours. Only The box only covers 2/3 of the super cab so one of my younger siblings can still sit on the other side. Plus I have a 4 point bolted up on my side. So its practical. One thing I've been thinking of is like a 2 layer box on a hinge that swings up?

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My gorilla box is inside of the cab just not as wide as your box. In the bed I have a toolbox and I am going to reinstall the hard cover, just have to get around to cutting it down to fit. Did this to my F350, also put in one of the amp research bed extenders so I can have access to tools or whatever without having to crawl into the back, plus now I can carry suitcases etc in the rear and have some security for the stuff. works well.

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That thing is pretty cool. I definitely want to build one now. I use the back area a lot though for my dog to sit back there though....

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Good job!! I like it, Bro!!

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Nice...I was thinking of something like this but now I'm inspired to actually do it...

Only thing I'd do different is to make it more portable...if possible...I have one tool box behind the passenger seat now that holds most of my tools...removed jump seats a long time ago since I don't carry parachuters around much any more...but it freed up a bit of space for concealing drugs and alcohol...er, tools...yes, tools...

Anyway...nice work...:icon_thumby:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Need something similar only in a much larger scale for my bronco 2 LOL. Someday when I get the rest of the B2 looking better I'll worry about that though.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Used to carry lots of stuff in my truck tool boxes, but found that they became too convenient for carrying everything...so now I force myself to only carry a medium sized tool bag. That way I have to be real selective on what I carry, with no room for extra stuff that becomes dead weight. Now I always have room to carry the dog and other spur of the moment stuff when the occasion arises. As for speakers, well I grew up with AM radio in the dash, so anything fancier that FM stereo is wasted on my old worn-out ears...so I think four speakers is way overkill.
That's a cool box design though.
Thank you! I believe in being prepared, and everything back there has gotten used before... 30ft, 20ft tow straps and shackles being the main things getting used in the winter. Plus the basic set of hand tools.

Its. mazing how much stuff you can cram back there. I used to have enough stuff to survive for days an fix almost anything. Huge pain to take it all out tho. Now I have a similar setup to yours. Only The box only covers 2/3 of the super cab so one of my younger siblings can still sit on the other side. Plus I have a 4 point bolted up on my side. So its practical. One thing I've been thinking of is like a 2 layer box on a hinge that swings up?
I considered that... but it's also a good use not to have to haul around little siblings :icon_rofl: You're saying one flat layer and another on top? The only problem I've ran into is you always have to tilt the seats forward just a little bit. Which isn't a big deal since I made the 3 separate lids.

That thing is pretty cool. I definitely want to build one now. I use the back area a lot though for my dog to sit back there though....
You could build one a bit flatter? This one is only 11" tall and 11" wide overall... I think around 43" long also. If you built a short one around, say, 6-8" tall he could probably lay on the back, and you could carpet it for comfort.

Good job!! I like it, Bro!!
:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:
Thanks!!

Nice...I was thinking of something like this but now I'm inspired to actually do it...

Only thing I'd do different is to make it more portable...if possible...I have one tool box behind the passenger seat now that holds most of my tools...removed jump seats a long time ago since I don't carry parachuters around much any more...but it freed up a bit of space for concealing drugs and alcohol...er, tools...yes, tools...

Anyway...nice work...:icon_thumby:
All of my portable stuff, like my welding tools for work, are in a portable bag. I usually just set that in the bed. After making this, I cut a board to fit the slots of the plastic bedliner so I have a spot for stuff like my boards for when I'm jacking a truck up and traffic cones, so they don't slide around. Wouldn't put anything sensitive to stealing there if I wasn't around but that stuff can always get thrown in the cab!

Need something similar only in a much larger scale for my bronco 2 LOL. Someday when I get the rest of the B2 looking better I'll worry about that though.
My uncle built storage for his Toyota pickup, full bed length and width about 12" high. Had 3 or 4 slide out drawers the whole length of the bed, and then he had a mattress on top!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Won't be doing anything extravagant like that for my B2 just something that will allow better storage and organization behind the back seats plus allow the spare tire to be secured back there, as I'm not very thrilled with the outside spare tire carrier bouncing around on gravel roads.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Won't be doing anything extravagant like that for my B2 just something that will allow better storage and organization behind the back seats plus allow the spare tire to be secured back there, as I'm not very thrilled with the outside spare tire carrier bouncing around on gravel roads.
Yep! Yours will be easier since you don't have to deal with the transmission tunnel sticking up!

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to make one now. Problem is, I dont have a 4 door being a 94 so I was thinking about making just a half one. A box that only fills half of it. That way I got some storage and can still use the jump seat on the other side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals