• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did steering column swap, now I have electrical problems

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
I swapped out the steering columns between my '90 2.9 and my '90 2.3 because I wanted a tilt wheel in my "new" '90. The problem is I have full power inside the cab but none to the starter or fuel pump. Turned the switch on for the first time in two years and was expecting to hear the fuel pump sing, but it didn't. I then tried to start it out of curiosity and .....nothing! Could the problem be the different column? Everything hooked up fine and looked the same on the wiring harness. Emergency flashers work but the turn signals don't blink, just light up. I'm thinkin' flasher went bad over the past two years. Gauges all work as does the radio, heater blower, dome light, everything in the cab is fine just no power to the starter and fuel pump. Everything on the outside of the engine is new, just about everything under the hood is new except A/C. Any ideas? Anxiously waiting for your replies. It's been over two years now ('cause 8 strokes got in the way and caused a rather lengthy delay) and I WANT TO DRIVE MY TRUCK AGAIN! Before I have another stroke or the Covid gets me. I sure would appreciate ANY and ALL help.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
First, make sure that the ignition switch connector is fully seated and its locking tabs are locked in. Then, look closely at the ignition switch itself, to see if there's ANY signs that the plastic part is separated from the metal part (even slightly can cause what you're describing). Try squeezing the switch, while you try turning the key and see if it'll start.

These older ignition switches are known for the two main pieces to loosen, and the switch looses contacts. If this is your problem, you can try tie-wrapping the switch (with harness connector), or just replace it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
First, make sure that the ignition switch connector is fully seated and its locking tabs are locked in. Then, look closely at the ignition switch itself, to see if there's ANY signs that the plastic part is separated from the metal part (even slightly can cause what you're describing). Try squeezing the switch, while you try turning the key and see if it'll start.

These older ignition switches are known for the two main pieces to loosen, and the switch looses contacts. If this is your problem, you can try tie-wrapping the switch (with harness connector), or just replace it.
Hi RobbieD, I dropped the column and took off the shroud, checked all plugs and everything is plugged in and tight. As far as the switch goes, I don't see any plastic on the switch itself at all, nothing to squeeze. Now I did try to squeeze and wiggle the plastic block that all the wires plug in to but it's tight, no play at all. I did notice that the fuel gauge is not working so there is NO power to the fuel pump. Guess I'll get my book out, start reading and tracing wires?!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Check the fuses.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Guess I'll get my book out, start reading and tracing wires?!
Yes. With a wiring schematic for your truck and a voltmeter or test light, start at the ignition switch and start testing for voltage where it should be when the switch is operated. I think that there's the EVTM schematics you need in TRD tech library, but if you need any let me know. I don't know what all you've done to the truck, but remember that grounding wires are just as important as power wires.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
I wish I was as well grounded as this truck, every ground wire that I can find from front bumper to back bumper has been cleaned, sanded (both the wire and surface) and securely tightened. I tried jumping the two big posts on the solenoid switch yesterday and had a neat fireworks show, scared the crap outta me, wasn't expecting that. I then tried jumping the hot post to the small post(brass, lower) that was designated as the "S" post for the starter and nothing. Just out of curiosity I jumped the hot post to the other small post on top of the solenoid (silver) and the starter fired up. So, I moved the small wire from the brass post to the silver post and tried starting it with the switch and NOTHING. At that point I had to stop and come back in the house, thermometer in the garage was reading 98 degrees, too much for me and my COPD.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It sounds like you actually have two issues going on, because the fuel pump is controlled by ECM, and the starter is controlled by the ignition switch.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
just to clarify, you are not mixing up the"key tumbler" & the actual "ignition switch"? they are 2 different pieces.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
just to clarify, you are not mixing up the"key tumbler" & the actual "ignition switch"? they are 2 different pieces.
Thank you for asking @Angie, as I was just wondering the same thing.

Here's two 1990 steering columns. The ignition switch "key tumblers" are on the left, then the electrical part are the white plastic and metal "boxes" about halfway down the columns:

The connector that plugs into the electrical ignition switch is where you'll need to test circuits for voltage, should it come to that.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Robbie, yeah, it almost reads like the throw is off on the metal rod in the "switch"

cheers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Actually I was. When I think of ignition switch I'm thinkin' of the switch where you put the key into. Duh! I did check the actual switch to make sure the wires were fully seated. Thanx for the clarification, it just reminds me of how much of a mechanic I am NOT. The steering columns SHOULD be interchangeable ...shouldn't they. Wiring harness's look identical, the only difference being is that the old truck had cruise and my "new 90" does not.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
you need to go back and set up the throw for the rod that controls the switch, it is a bit precise to set up. search it out i am sure it is in here "how to adjust ignition switch"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals