• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealing with rust underneath

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I was under my truck today and noticed a decent amount of rust, especially in the rear(around leaf springs etc) but most of the frame is pretty much rust free. Everything's still solid for now and I'd like to keep it that way.

Should I worry about it now or just accept the fact that I live in New England and my trucks gonna rust some?

Im tossing around the idea of installing a body lift over the summer and at the same time cleaning up and painting the frame(por-15 or other?).

What do you guys think?

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
Nah not really unless it's really bad. If you take real good care of it like washing it every weekend, than there is a minimal chance you'll get rust. I mean every truck is gonna have rust. just depends how well you take care of it. I personally wax my pickup twice a year to protect clear coat and for it to prevent rust. Mine has been a farm truck all it's life and it gets rode pretty hard out in the fields. Like I said, if you wash it every weekend, There is a little chance it could rust.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Pay attention to the rear of the frame where the bumper mounts to the rail. Almost every neglected Ranger ive seen is rotting in that part, otherwise the frame rails are pretty damn solid and will last a long time.

Keep an eye on the cab mounts and the leaf shackles/rear shock mounts. Those parts are independent and can be replaced but tend to rot pretty fast once they start to rust. If you can get the bed off and undercoat the bottom bed rails that sit on your frame cross rails. Those rot out fast.

Those seem to be the big problem areas but overall its an easy truck to keep an eye on and with underbody car washes every week in the winter youll be surprised how clean it will stay. Im in RI and there is no way to prevent rust at all with the sand and salt. Sand scratches and exposes the metal and salt speeds up rust. Cant get away from it:annoyed:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
completely disassemble. where the bridging and mounts are riveted....remove rivets and bridging and mounts...

blast/wire wheel everything

paint and reassemble with bolts.

repeat process every 3-5 years depending on what primer you use.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
completely disassemble. where the bridging and mounts are riveted....remove rivets and bridging and mounts...

blast/wire wheel everything

paint and reassemble with bolts.

repeat process every 3-5 years depending on what primer you use.
I want to do this by God that seems like so much freaking work. If I ever do it I'm gonna look for some really good coatings. I don't want to do it again that soon. Thank God I live in south Texas the only salt I see is the occasional drive on the beach lol. And it always gets blasted on the way out lol.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah its a bit of work, but worth it.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well i took another look underneath. Turns out that my rear drivers side leaf spring mount is completely shot, and the passengers side is ready to go. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Broken leaf spring mount:

Front leaf spring mount. surface rust but solid:

Frame. spotty surface rust but solid

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals