• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dead Ranger

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
After getting my fuel pump woes settled, I was able to drive my 2000 Ranger 3.0 manual transmission without incident for a few days. Then after leaving it parked for about 10 days as I rode my motorcycle to work, I went out to take it for a spin. Acted like a dead battery. Clicked a couple time then nothing. I put the charger on and let it charge for a bit. Tried the 50 amp jump start ( this had worked one other time before) didn't work this time. Left the charger on all night. Next day nothing not even the click. Checked the voltage of the battery with my multi-meter. It read 13 volts. Thought maybe it was a dead cell. Took the battery into town to get it checked. They said it was fully charged and said I had a good battery. Before I took the battery out I tried the headlight and other accessories. None of them worked. I am about ready to give up on this possessed little devil.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
After getting my fuel pump woes settled, I was able to drive my 2000 Ranger 3.0 manual transmission without incident for a few days. Then after leaving it parked for about 10 days as I rode my motorcycle to work, I went out to take it for a spin. Acted like a dead battery. Clicked a couple time then nothing. I put the charger on and let it charge for a bit. Tried the 50 amp jump start ( this had worked one other time before) didn't work this time. Left the charger on all night. Next day nothing not even the click. Checked the voltage of the battery with my multi-meter. It read 13 volts. Thought maybe it was a dead cell. Took the battery into town to get it checked. They said it was fully charged and said I had a good battery. Before I took the battery out I tried the headlight and other accessories. None of them worked. I am about ready to give up on this possessed little devil.
Check and tighten your terminals and terminal connections

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes ^^^
Sounds like a bad connection to me too. Check battery cables, both positive and negative from battery to starter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Turn on the headlights, key on, door open, dome light ON, then turn fan/blower to HIGH
If lights are dim and get dimmer you have some bad Battery connections
Can be Positive or Negative wiring, BOTH are the same as far as passing power to any devices is concerned

If lights are bright with everything on then starter relay or starter motor has failed

Me Mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the mouth....." Mike Tyson
Turned out to be a bad ground connection. Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate it. Electrical problems are my least favorite thing. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals