• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 35 carrier QUESTION

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
from what im seeing, if i have 3.27s in my dana 35 front axle now, i cant put 4.10's in it without another carrier. i need to get 4.10s in it cause thats what ive ended up with in the back and plan to keep. plus i need the 4x4 very soon. where can i find a carrier? a stock type is all i need ,and im seeing the highest gear they run is a 3.55, right? i just dont wanna tear mine down till i have everything cause im driving it

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Junkyard is your best bet. A ford dealership is going to be expensive. You can use anything from a an explorer or ranger 90-97. Or look on here in for sale, someone may have a whole front pig with 4.10's.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well hell i just rebuilt the whole front end in mine 6 months ago. i just wanna change gears. i didnt know it wouldnt take anything lower than the 3.27 that was in it.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not saying you have to replace the whole thing. You could just get the carrier and gears, just saying it would be easier to swipe the carrier, gear, housing, etc. as a whole.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Ford HP D35 does NOT have a carrier break, you should be able to use your existing carrier no problem.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i thought that too until i went to buy some and seen a few things about the carrier breaks. just dont want to tear it down to find this out and be stuck until i can find one. do you know this for sure? have you put gears in one that had 3.27's in it? cause that seems to be where the carrier is supposed to be changed at. if it had 3.55's, it supposedly is the other carier. and i forgot to add this is in a 94 ranger just to be sure

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The carrier breaks are just in the D35 Jeep rear axles.

Like Junkie said there is no break in the D35 TTB.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Jeep rear D35s use the carrier break, not the TTB D35.

I haven't personally put different gears in a 3.27 axle, but I've seen more than a dozen CREDIBLE reports from others who HAVE done it to feel comfortable that it's actually true (I suppose there could still be some oddball axle out there to prove me wrong though, although that still wouldn't guarantee me seeing it even if I had done a swap on one either).

Maybe one of those who's done it can chime in here as well...

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure the confusion exists because of the Jeep D35. To the best of my knowledge, the TTB D35 does not have a carrier break. The Jeep D35 has a carrier break at 3.54+. It's the vagueness of certain sources that creates the confusion between the two.

The Jeep 3.54+ carrier is the same as the TTB D35 carrier. I've personally used a Jeep 3.54+ carrier, so I know it works.

I've also heard firsthand reports of people successfully putting 4.56's gears in an originally 3.27 carrier. See posts 13, 14 and 15 here. Also, check out the pics of the carrier and ring comparisons. The 4.56 ring looks like it's almost double the thickness of the 3.27 ring.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well thats good news then. if the jeep carriers break like that, then whats so different in them if they are the same as a dana 35 TTB?

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well thats good news then. if the jeep carriers break like that, then whats so different in them if they are the same as a dana 35 TTB?
Since the jeep D35 has a carrier break, that means that 2 different carriers exist for it. The 3.54+ jeep carrier is the same as the TTB D35 carrier, while the numerically lower ratio carrier is not.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The TTB D35 is a high pinion reverse rotation gearset. It isn't the same as the Jeep low pinion gearset. If your making custom gears in the first place why mix it up with 2 carriers. Just make the gears thicker/Thinner as needed and use one carrier.

Last edited:

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
mmm, no body said the gearsets were the same, just the carriers. unless im missing something here?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
mmm, no body said the gearsets were the same, just the carriers. unless im missing something here?

Your missing something.

Who had the D35 first?

I'm just saying that Dana did a smart thing when they did the gearset and carrier for the TTB 35.

Used one carrier across the board and since they were having to make special gears for the highpinion of the TTB, why put a carrier break when they have to machine special gears from the get go. Just make all the gearsets to fit one carrier.

84EB

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe one of those who's done it can chime in here as well...
My D35 was a 3.27 and I put 3.73's in it and will be putting 4.88's in it soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals