• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Damn Hydraulic Clutch!!!

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have just came in from the garage totally disgusted again....I have been trying to get my clutch to disengage for the last 3 wks....I have bled it every way known to man....still getting no more than about 1/2" travel of the release assembly....the system has no air in it!!!! Go ahead and tell me guys,I'm going to have to pull the trans out and replace my slave cylinder-right??? I wish to hell my Ranger was an automatic!!!!!:pissedoff:

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, pretty much.

If it makes you feel any better I've been down that road before myself. It was so bad that I think I had to pull the tranny 2 or 3 times!

Did you put a new slave cylinder in it or did you do what I did and reuse the old one. I swore up and down that the slave was good, but sure enough as soon as I changed it all went well.

Allen

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I re-used the old slave-guess that's what I get for trusting a part in my Ford that has been sitting for 4 years....I did drop the trans and remove the slave today-it is very cruddy and gritty and moves roughly-just got back from Advance Auto Parts(only 3 mi from home) with a new slave cylinder in hand and my pocket $100.00 lighter.....oh well,I've had enough for one day-I'll put it back together tomorrow.....Yee Haw!!!!

c1skout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My friend works at the local Ford garage and he says whenever they pull a tranny it gets put back together with a new slave. I've had luck with them by not seperating the hydraulics, just slide the tranny down and back till there's just enough room to r&r the clutch.

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'll think twice before I ever separate my hydraulic's again....this has been a major PITA!!!.Hopefully I'll not have to,I only did this because I took the truck completely apart to re-paint the frame and replace a rusted out core support(all of which was easier to do than get my clutch working!) while my Pontiac GTP has sat outside in the lousy West Virginia weather.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you get it?

Allen

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure there wasn't a spacer in the tube? After looking forever and finally finding a replacement trans for mine, swapped it in and bolted everything back together and just didn't have anything. would almost get enough bite to pull itself forward a little...I remember reading in the sheet that came with the new clutch kit that some of the old throwout bearings had a metal spacer at the very back of the slave cylinder. Looked it over before putting it back together and didn't see it, pulled it back out, and compared it to the old slave unit on my other trans and sure enough...big spacer. Put the one with no spacer in and no problem...about a 5 hour learning experience, but I'm good at swapping trannies now...but I still don't know how to get the spacer out of that otherwise good slave unit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals