• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44vs8.8

TheFarmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm Going to sas my 2000 ford ranger xlt 4x4. I been reading around and I've been seeing this a lot that a Ford 8.8 is stronger than a D44?? Anyways I'm kinda stuck on what to do. Should I put a D44 up front and keep my 8.8 in the rear or put a D44 in the rear as well? I will hopefully have a 5.0 swapped into the truck in the future, and with the bigger engine should I get an explorer 8.8 with the 31 spline? Any help is much appreciated.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I would keep the 8.8" that you have. An 8.8" and a D44 are about the same in terms of strength so basically it's not worth the bother of fabbing up stuff to fit a D44. An Explorer 31 spline unit is stronger than the Ranger 28 spline but unless your V8 is really powerful or you really want rear disc brakes or your Ranger has a 7.5" rear, I'd say just keep your stock axle until it breaks.

TheFarmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yea that's what u was thinking. What do you think would be the best option in the front?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Yea that's what u was thinking. What do you think would be the best option in the front?
A new aftermarket Dana 44 with a True Trac limited-slip differential. Personally I'm not a big fan of lockers in the front but it depends what you want to do.

Like I said, around $3 grand plus another couple thou to have the suspension and steering fabbed up.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Complete-Axle-Assemblies.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=475&t_pt=7572&Housing+Type_PQ=97-06+Jeep+TJ+Dana+44&Front+Or+Rear_PQ=Front&Traction+Device_PQ=Detroit+True+Trac

I mentioned elsewhere that a less expensive option is a used Dana 30 from a Jeep XJ or TJ but they are not as strong.

Mazanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Look around on craigslist for a high pinion Dana 44 out of a 76-79 f150 and have it narrowed. There is someone on Craig's list in my area that offers the service for 200 bucks, though you may need to find an axle shop in your area and they will definitely charge more for the service. If you're comfortable fabricating, narrowing it yourself is not difficult, there's information about it in the tech articles. With the skyjacker transmission cross member, this is a bolt on application using the 70's Ford radius arms, minus the tracbar, which will require some thoughtful fabrication. With the high pinion you will need to lift it about 6 inches to clear the engine crossmember.

Mazanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gWnxmXQE-7MPtjKrte8qfZmKa55lFRjZDsZsTRd08YY/edit?usp=docslist_api

Here is a link to my parts list for my SAS. I am narrowing it myself and the axle did not come with anything from the spindles out. It also needs to be regeared. This swap includes a full rebuild for the front, a 31 spine 8.8 for the rear, Chevy 64" springs and lockers front and rear. The only thing not accounted for is the cost of setting up the front gears because I haven't decided who I am going to have do it. As you can see I'm just getting started

TheFarmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks guys. Makes my project go so much smoother than if I was trying to piece this together myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals