• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

d35 into a 2wd

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are there any real complications in swapping a d35 (91 Explorer) into a 1988 2wd Ranger? Or is it really all a bolt in? I know the engine crossmember will be a problem.. I just don't know if there will be any more problems I'd run into.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IF only we still had the other database, you'd be able to search out the answer to this as its been discussed a few times recently.

There is a LOT of work involved in turning a 2WD into a 4WD and the general concensus is that its a better idea to sell the 2WD ranger, and just buy a 4WD ranger. Then if you want the Dana 35 in it instead of a Dana 28 its a pretty simple bolt in swap. Cant remember who, but I believe its either Johnny or Will that did the last technical write up on it. Maybe PM them to see if they can help you if they dont spot this thread.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The crossmember is a real PITA, but that would be all.
Once the 4x4 crossmember is in place, everything should bolt right up.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would I be able to maybe build another cross member further up the frame (maybe a welded on bumper or something), then just completely cut out the engine cross member?

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't do it.
Buy a 4x4.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not exactly made of money... Its not as easy as everyone says it is to just "buy a 4x4." The only reason I'm asking is because I can get the d35 TTB for dirt cheap, and I already have the truck.

So... If I were to completely remove the 2wd crossmember, and weld on a strong bumper to the front of the frame, would I be able to bolt on the D35 TTB stuff? Or do I HAVE to have the 4x4 crossmember?

If you are just going to tell me to buy a 4x4, please, don't reply to this thread...

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
The TTB "Stuff" bolts to the crossmember. The 2wd and 4wd cross members are different so the 4wd brackets won't bolt up correctly. This is the reason for needing to swap crossmembers.....

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ah ok. I didn't know that. Thank you for clarifying instead of just telling me to buy a 4x4. I truly appreciate it.

rotty_rott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I converted my '84 to 4wd about a year ago and i don't think it's really as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. yes the hardest part is getting the engine crossmembers out of both vehicles, but after they are both removed it's a piece of cake from there. it's just a bunch of grinding, torching, drilling and beating to get the crossmembers out and then everything just bolts back together for the most part. i already had the 2wd truck with a fairly fresh motor in it and i got the donor vehicle for $75. I probably have $75 or so in bolts, torch gas, and other odds and ends and another $100 in having a driveshaft lengthened so i've got about $250 in the swap and somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 hours of labor and i couldn't have bought a 4wd for $250 more than what i could sell my truck for. i drove it through the snow, and hauled firewood out of the timber all winter and drive it when i need to haul something during the summer and haven't had any problems and don't really have any complaints other than i wish i had put a l/s in the rear earlier, but i did it a month or so ago, now i'll probably wish i put one in the front as well, but that'll just have to wait. not everyone has the money to sell their truck and buy a 4wd and i think it was well worth the work to save the money i would have spent buying one.

mike

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the encouragement Rotty rott... After removing the crossmembers, how did you get the 4x4 one into the 2wd? Did you bolt it in, or did you weld it in? As much information as you can give me would be WONDERFUL.

rotty_rott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i drilled all the rivet holes out to accept 1/2" bolts and just bolted it back in. i could've rewelded it with short beads to the inside of the frame rails like it was from the factory, but i decided to just bolt it in and keep an eye on it and have yet to have any problems with it. i kept the original 2wd front coil buckets and coils and only have around 1 1/2" height difference between the front and rear, which i plan on leveling out with washer coil spacers when it cools off some. i think the 4wd coil buckets sit a little lower on the frame than the 2wd buckets do and because of this i had to use extensions on the front shock studs to make them reach and give me enough droop. i believe the coil springs are the same for 2wd and 4wd depending on the engine. to get enough room to get the crossmembers out i unbolted the front body mounts under the radiator support and used an old bumper jack between the frame rails to spread them out a little. other than that it was a pretty straight forward swap. i'm not an expert or anything, but i did successfully do this swap without a problem so if you have any questions i'll try to help out as much as i can. i hope this helps.

mike

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. Thanks again Rotty Rott.

My only problem now will be finding a 4x4 I can rob the crossmember from. They don't exactly let you take torches and grinders into the local junkyards...which really sucks.. But now that I know all this, my search can start.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
it might be easier to coonvert a 2wd to 4wd unsing a straight axle........ just a thought

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it might be easier to coonvert a 2wd to 4wd unsing a straight axle........ just a thought
That is the route I would go as well, it isn't easy but neither is stripping your truck to the frame and then taking the frame apart too.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I know it would be easier with a straight axle. The more and more I read about putting in a d35 the less worthwhile it sounds. Aside from the trac bar and the steering, an EB dana 44 is more of a bolt in than a d28 or d35 is. At least that's the way it seems by what I've read.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals