• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A manual transmission can do the same thing.
It can slow a vehicle without using the brakes, but it's not going to return any of that energy into moving the vehicle forward again.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is prolly stupid but...

Why couldnt they make a driveshaft out of a torsion spring type material, so when you stepped on it instead of tire spin the excess accleration would whind the spring up and launch you harder?

If that makes sense.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's not a manual transmission using engine braking. It's a regen braking system, it's just storing the energy in hydraulic fluid instead of a battery. From the article:

"The Eaton Hydraulic Launch AssistT (HLA®) System utilizes regenerative braking and is being initially targeted at refuse trucks.

Eaton''s Hydraulic Launch Assist System has two parts: regeneration and launch assist.

Regeneration

During braking, the vehicle's kinetic energy drives the pump/motor as a pump, transferring hydraulic fluid from the low-pressure reservoir to a high-pressure accumulator. The fluid compresses nitrogen gas in the accumulator and pressurizes the system. The regenerative braking captures about 70% of the kinetic energy produced during braking."

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
OK, lets everyone remember why we are on this forum...to have a bit of fun and to ask questions and exchange ideas and to solve problems.
Lets all play nice.
Lets remember that EV's are still aways off as far as becoming main stream. Not only the vehicles themselves, and charging stations, but an entire infrastructure to care, maintain, and repair them.
It's gonna be a number of years before they become as reliable as IC vehicles (think Tesla's that catch fire or explode).
Those of you who are waiting to embrace them, more power to you, and I won't fault you As for those of us who still and will always like IC vehicles (myself included), thats our choice.
Unless gas stops flowing, I will most likly never own an EV. My son/daughter in law, in their 40's now, maybe.
My grandkids, it's probably a 100% deal that they will be driving an EV. It's just the nature of progress
There was a time just 35 years ago when almost no one owned a portable phone, and now look at us...the cell phones we have now have more computing power than all the moon landers combined.
We think nothing of looking up just about anything on our home computers, while 30 years ago we were still waiting for catalogs to come in.
Remember going to your local parts store where they had a rack 8 feet long on their counters with parts catalogs.
When jet passenger aircraft first came into use, everyone was afraid of them as they couldn't "see" the props spinning...what in the hell was holding that plane up ?
ABS, air bags, traction control, computers, radial tires, were all looked upon with suspicion when first introduced. Now their all standard and work.
History will always show that people are very stubborn when it comes to change unless it's forced upon them. It will be the same with EV's, but it will happen. Won't affect me cause I probably won't be around, but you 30 and 40 year olds will be.
I'm fairly new here, but I do hate to see a post started that turns into a pissing match and members belittled for their opinions.
Now, I'm stepping off my soap box, so ya all play nice.
:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm just arguing because its fun...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I'm just arguing because its fun...
I know, but for awhile there it got kind of heated and I thought someone would get physical.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'll fight the internet! Bring it on you dirty ones and zeros!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lets remember that EV's are still aways off as far as becoming main stream. Not only the vehicles themselves, and charging stations, but an entire infrastructure to care, maintain, and repair them.
It's gonna be a number of years before they become as reliable as IC vehicles (think Tesla's that catch fire or explode).
It's fine if they're not for you, but lets not spread false truths about levels of reliability without any data to back that up. They're already more reliable than ICEs though. They require less maintenance than ICE powered vehicles. Chevy has been selling a 230 mile EV for 3 years that can be serviced at any GM dealer. Hyundai and Kia sell cheap electrics with really good range. And we're about 11-12 months from Ford having a similar vehicle in all of it's showrooms. I don't want to confuse the issue too much, but The Honda CRV and Toyota Rav 4, two of the best selling vehicles in the world, are offering Plug in Hybrid versions in 2020 along with the new Lincoln Aviator PHEV and are all considered EVs. They're becoming more and more mainstream very quickly.

NYC has a large fleet of vehicles, several of which are either hybrid or electric. Earlier this year they released their first report on average maintenance costs per vehicle type and on average, EVs were several hundred to over 1000 less per year to maintain. The fully electric version of the Ford Focus averaged almost $1500/yr less in maintenance costs than the gasoline Focus:

Here's a maintenance log for a limo company that puts about 17k miles PER MONTH on each of their Teslas:

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If that’s the final production design, or pretty close, you’re going to see most of them get wrapped. Here’s a 90’s version...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
What your noting is true, BUT, there are over 250 million vehicles on USA roads right now, and EV's are just a spit in a bucket compared to them .EV's are coming, in dribbles now, but in a flood 15-20 years from now.
So. lets just be happy with what we have for now, the future will be here soon enough. Silly to argue about it now.
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I see a 30 year old EV with 300,000+ miles on it driving around the rust belt then we can discuss reliability... :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I see a 30 year old EV with 300,000+ miles on it driving around the rust belt then we can discuss reliability... :icon_rofl:
Not many ICE vehicles of that vintage in circulation.

Rust in the rust belt don't care what makes it move... and stainless isn't really stainless. It is stain resistant.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What your noting is true, BUT, there are over 250 million vehicles on USA roads right now, and EV's are just a spit in a bucket compared to them .EV's are coming, in dribbles now, but in a flood 15-20 years from now.
So. lets just be happy with what we have for now, the future will be here soon enough. Silly to argue about it now.
Grumpaw
Agreed. I even gave a similar timeline. I did some admittedly rough math earlier in the thread that we'd be looking at almost 20 years for all of the vehicles on the road in the US to be EVs if they stopped selling ICEs right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals