• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crazy popping noise please help

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
so i just spent my entire day before going to work installing some new control arms on my 99, on my drive home i heard this kindve popping noise, it almost sounds like my spring is binding but i cant tell. it only does it when i can get it bouncing really hard or when braking it has a few small pops but i cant tell what it is please help!:bawling:

jcwest1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 93 ranger for 5 years & it popped like your saying when i changed directions or bounced really hard. i bought a 95 ranger & it does the exact same thing-sounds like the springs are binding but i can't find where. I had decieded it was just a ford thing

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 93 ranger for 5 years & it popped like your saying when i changed directions or bounced really hard. i bought a 95 ranger & it does the exact same thing-sounds like the springs are binding but i can't find where. I had decieded it was just a ford thing
lol your problem is that the radius bushing took a shit and are warn out and need to be replaced and the bushing is missing in one spot allowing the radius arms to make contact with the cross member and causing the noise you hear ..

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 94 pops when i turn the wheel just before taking off from a stop, but it never did that until i put leveling coils on it. ive never worked on a 2wd 98+ so im not sure if there are spring locators or cushions but if its not seated properly then it will pop when you turn and hit bumps because its going to want to settle and unload itself.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mine did similar noise when i lifted it
the springs were arched to the outside so they rubbed the spring housing on the frame.
i had to add some "wedges" to the sping base (outer part to level the spring base) on the lower arm cuz it didnt sit completelly flat. thats why they were arching on mine

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
umm, guys it's a 99, no radius arm bushings. I bet you the back control arms bushing bolt/ nut on one side or the other is loose, as this has happened to me.

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
i checked every bolt before i got an alignment and everything was as tight as possible, im thinking that it probabley is my springs hitting up against the coil bucket, theres also a groove in the lca that the spring is supposed to sit in and the guy who helped me put it on claims they will "self adjust" so they actually sit were they are supposed to, so that probabley isnt helping either. i also noticed my cv joint dust boot was pretty worn out and the joint is starting to build up some topic rust, i read its really bad to even let the boot get damaged due to the elements getting in and screwing everything up, has anyone replaced one before? how hard is it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals