• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Crank, no start. Fuel issue.

thefrenchman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

New to the Ranger life, and can not for the life of me get this 1994 ranger 2.3l XLT 5-speed to run. Just bought is from a friend who drove it onto the trailer, but once it got to my house, never ran by its own devices let's say, again. The main issue I appear to be having is with fuel, when key on engine off, the fuel pump does not kick on(no relay click or anything), when I jump the relay to make sure the pump runs, still no luck because I believe the injectors aren't firing.

Since ive gotten it here I've been reading other forums and have tried some things but to no avail.

I've removed the fuel tank and cleaned it, replaced the in tank filter, as well as the the filter on the frame(there was gunk galore in the tank before). I also replaced the fuel pump connector.

I've removed the injectors and cleaned them and made sure they operate when given 12v

Replaced the ECU since I thought that may have been the problem prior to buying the truck

And replaced the 3 relays in the engine bay (EEC, fuel pump, and WOT AC)

The truck DOES run however when we spray starting fluid in the intake.

Inertia switch is not flipped.

Something I find troubling is that when the key is on position, in the EEC relay spot, I get 12v, 11.5v, 10.5v and 10.5v. Voltage on 4 of 5 relay prongs doesnt seem right to me but I may be wrong.

Let me know if you guys think of anything
Thanks in advance.

thefrenchman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also wanted to add that I had tested with the self test plug and can get the fuel pump to fire using that, but could get any codes to flash using the output.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals