• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cowl leak fixed....

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my 89 BII I had a leak where the cowl meets the body, pretty common issue with the RBV's I guess. I was too lazy to take off the fenders and drill out spot welds so I used a cut off wheel and cut out around the vents on the cowl.

Leaf and debris buildup wasn't too bad, but there was a spot rusted out about a 1/4 inch tall and 3 inches long. The old putty Ford put in was brittle and coming out so I cleaned all that out and used silicon to re-seal everything. Once that dried I used a sealer spray called "emergency 911" that is like a spray on rubber coating.

Covered everything really well with that and let it dry. Tested it out and there's no more water coming into the cab and its draining like it should. Put the vents back down with a small bolt and it doesn't look bad at all. I took a couple pics during the process and can post them if anyones interested.

I searched before I did this and didn't come up with any results where anyone else had redneck engineered this fix...maybe they were too embarrassed to tell anyone, I know I thought twice about posting about it lol.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
On my 89 BII I had a leak where the cowl meets the body, pretty common issue with the RBV's I guess. I was too lazy to take off the fenders and drill out spot welds so I used a cut off wheel and cut out around the vents on the cowl.

Leaf and debris buildup wasn't too bad, but there was a spot rusted out about a 1/4 inch tall and 3 inches long. The old putty Ford put in was brittle and coming out so I cleaned all that out and used silicon to re-seal everything. Once that dried I used a sealer spray called "emergency 911" that is like a spray on rubber coating.

Covered everything really well with that and let it dry. Tested it out and there's no more water coming into the cab and its draining like it should. Put the vents back down with a small bolt and it doesn't look bad at all. I took a couple pics during the process and can post them if anyones interested.

I searched before I did this and didn't come up with any results where anyone else had redneck engineered this fix...maybe they were too embarrassed to tell anyone, I know I thought twice about posting about it lol.

Darn, glad you got it fixed. I had an 89 BII as well. I bought it brand new and I sold it not too long ago to a collage girl (my buddy's daughter). I never had any issues with it. I really liked that Bronco. That 2.9 liter was a great strong running motor.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Heres a pic of the vent cut and bent back.

This is showing the sprayed sealer, kinda dark but you get the idea.

This is how it looks now. I am going to get some small vacuum line and split it lengthwise and cover the exposed edges so it will look better.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You should be happy to have that style of cover...with my 88 they used the slotted grill and it can let whole trees into my trough...well, if they're run through a chipper, that is...

Can't really see where the leak was by those shots...I suspected it would be higher up near the windshield...but it looks like it's right at the bottom...

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should be happy to have that style of cover...with my 88 they used the slotted grill and it can let whole trees into my trough...well, if they're run through a chipper, that is...

Can't really see where the leak was by those shots...I suspected it would be higher up near the windshield...but it looks like it's right at the bottom...

It was down low, kind of in that trough. I'm glad it wasn't up high by the windshield. I am glad it has the smaller holes, I think it made the cutting easier and keeps more crap out of there.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the pics. Now you should submit it to the tech library to help others.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the pics. Now you should submit it to the tech library to help others.

I would be embarrassed to submit this, its a hack job lol Thanks for the kind words though.

SLR_65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heres a pic of the vent cut and bent back.

This is showing the sprayed sealer, kinda dark but you get the idea.

This is how it looks now. I am going to get some small vacuum line and split it lengthwise and cover the exposed edges so it will look better.

The images aren't showing up any more. I have a small leak on the drivers side I'd like to hunt for, can you re-post the pics?

Thanks!

Steve

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals