• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couple questions about a frame swap.

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so my pretty ranger has some hidden cancer and im doing my best to remedy what i can but i think its just going to have to come down to getting rust free frame my question is Im looking for a decent frame i cant find one for a 94-97 ini any decent shape can i use an older frame since its still twin i beam?

Untitled by MoToRNecK!, on Flickr

some of the remedies taken place

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i believe the frame off of any ranger before 97 will work but not sure, i think the body mounts are different but it looks like u can weld. i will search around for u to see what i can find but someone else might chime in before i find anything.

ok so i did a little research on google and came up that yes u can as long as its a 2wd since between 90-93 they started welding the engine crossmember making it harder to swap 2wd stuff into a 4wd frame, but from what i can tell the frames are the same

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I think that frame is in pretty decent shape, ive seen much worse than that

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might want to check out some of the threads by Kamshaft, he put a 88 ext cab on a 2000 frame. Had to do a little work to get it to fit.
Dave

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah the driverside body mount right behind it there are some holes developing in the upper channel of the frame. The cross member between the two rear cab mounts is absolutely shot. I dont really want to be welding patch panels all over the frame here and there like i did with the rear when i could just find a decent frame without rust and throw my truck on it. I am gong to try to stick with 90 and newer frame if i can just a better chance of no issues with it. then i can box in the rear section for strength and fab a couple stronger cross member in the front.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Nice work. My repair of the frame around the LF body mount is much cruder.. No welder, but lots of 3/8 bolts and a 30 X 6 " piece of 1/8 plate. Hand formed to fish plate the lower flange of the frame where it rotted away Beaucoup hammering . Fugly, but functional.

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice work. My repair of the frame around the LF body mount is much cruder.. No welder, but lots of 3/8 bolts and a 30 X 6 " piece of 1/8 plate. Hand formed to fish plate the lower flange of the frame where it rotted away Beaucoup hammering . Fugly, but functional.

my driverside rear body mount was not even connected to the frame!:icon_surprised:

this truck is going to see some air time so it needs to be strong might as well start with a good new frame and box and reinforce it then slap it under the truck. :headbang:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget to show pics of your progress. You are going top have some serious time invested. I started fixing a bad transmission and ended up doing a frame up rebuild. Something addictive about working on these little trucks and as you do one thing you always see something else that needs to be looked at.

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

The lines running back in the pic are my fuel lines, brake lines and sending unit wires. and i wonder why i have a short in my fuel sending unit sensor so my gas gauge says its always full ha ha.

Last edited:

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
:shok: Cringed when I saw those pictures since my 94's not far behind. Still it's helpful to see where rust problems might develop next. Thanks for posting the pics.

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:shok: Cringed when I saw those pictures since my 94's not far behind. Still it's helpful to see where rust problems might develop next. Thanks for posting the pics.
Yeah look any where they powder coated crap. the spring hangers, the cab mounts around the gap where cab meets the truck and rain can down onto the frame. Thankfully my springs hangers are holding on but when i get a new frame its getting all new brackets and hangers and 64 inch springs 8.8 rear end. boxed frame fuel cell im getting rid of all the weak points

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals