• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Control arms: do you replace worn parts or swap the whole thing?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have been coming across a lot of control arm bushings/ball joint etc jobs lately.

Seems there's always the option of changing out the ball joints and bushings etc..., or just replacing the entire control arm.

I have noticed the entire control arm is available for many vehicles by various manufacturers.

Are there any pros/cons? Besides the obvious price difference. Lately I have been just replacing the whole arm, which is so much easier. The only dread being the drive to the alignment shop.

My only concern is the replacement arms are not as good as the oem's, one set was much lighter than the rusted out original I replaced on a small car. Felt like they used quite thinner sheet metal.

Now I noticed while doing the brakes that my F150 needs ball joints (and probably bushings too). The upper control arm I already plan to replace entirely (found a good set).

The lower control arm is huge, not sure if it would be wise to toss instead of pressing some nice new red bushings and blue ball joint. I will say the steering stops on them are quite worn lol.

Anyways what's your take on Control arms, swap the rubber or replace the whole unit?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I just swap the whole thing. Easier snd faster.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you swap the whole thing you probably should get it aligned. If you just replace the ball joints nothing should change.

We do it when we have to at work, usually just do the lower ball joints when we can. Usually more strut hardware corrosion related than ball joint related when we replace arms.

I wouldn't screw with replacing bushings if I could get a new one though.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like polyurethane bushings so I don't mind changing out bushings and ball joints. HOWEVER, the ball joints are not replaceable in the upper control arms for my 2002 4WD Ranger, so had to replace the control arms which come with new bushings.

Then too, replacing the lower ball joints in same 2002 4WD Ranger was a b*tch of a job to press out the old ones and press in the new. If it weren't for messing with the torsion bars, I would have replaced the lower control arms.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Like previously states, sometimes it's not an option.

I think it really comes down to a parts cost vs time thing.

I'm sure a lot of do it yourself at home jobbers like the all in one deal. due it the fact you don't need as much in the way of special tools.

I've always replaced the bushings and ball joints and kept the OEM arm. I've got all the tools available to me, and most of the time I would rather spend the time then the money.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
On some years, it may not be an option. On my 97 F150, I found out somehow that the OEM ball joints were not meant to be replaceable. So I replaced control arms. But my replacement control arms now have replaceable ball joints.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On some years, it may not be an option. On my 97 F150, I found out somehow that the OEM ball joints were not meant to be replaceable. So I replaced control arms. But my replacement control arms now have replaceable ball joints.
Uppers yes, you can replace the lower ball joints though.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That’s right. I forgot that was just uppers. The upper control arms don’t cost much.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
For the F150, I already have complete new (extended) uppers, and shocks. Figured handle the lowers as well and do it all in one shot.

I watched a youtube video and they looked way worse than mine do. Suddenly it seems less urgent.

It might have just been the wheel bearings, because I did the brakes/rotors/bearings and now its much better.

I dont think the ball joints are worn (yet), but the boots are torn from being stretched by the leveling kit. I am hoping the extended new upper arms will fix this.

The rack and pinion is leaking on one side, so I will probably replace that too while wrenching. I heard not to bother rebuilding those, found a good oem reman.

Seems swapping just the ball joint would save me an alignment, but I will need one anyways...and figure if I'm doin all this, might as well get the bushings too, by which I mean swap the whole lower arm. I do have a shop press, but don't like using it.

The new uppers have poly bushings, not sure yet what I'm gonna go with on the lowers, based on options. Probably rubber.

On the passenger cars, I have been swapping the entire control arm(s), with great ease and results. Luckily the alignment shop is literally a mile down the road. Pretty sure I covered his shop rent this month.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals