• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They make rebuild kits for them... my dad collects these and I unknowingly i have been too but just for camping!!! The lanterns put off so much more light than the led ones!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
And your point is????
When I'm elected president my first duty will be to outlaw all forms of glamping! The only provisions that will be legally permitted while camping will be.

1. A large heavy canvas tarp
2. An axe
3. 3 matches
4. One can of wolf brand chili per person

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
When I'm elected president my first duty will be to outlaw all forms of glamping! The only provisions that will be legally permitted while camping will be.

2. An axe
3. 3 matches
Sorry. I can't vote for you. I can survive under those conditions. But I prefer a bit more comfort.

Also, not sure I can dig holes fast enough to deposit the biological results of eating that chili.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sorry. I can't vote for you. I can survive under those conditions. But I prefer a bit more comfort.

Also, not sure I can dig holes fast enough to deposit the biological results of eating that chili.
Especially when the only tool for digging is an axe.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bachelor days 101: wolf chilli with shredded cheese is awesome on a baked potato.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you don't like wolf brand chili you're a communist!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you don't like wolf brand chili you're a communist!
We do homemade here as well. Store bought chili doesn’t compare.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a baked potato bar it isn't worth the time to make a full batch of chilli. A can will do two potatoes.

I also like my chilli chilli to have beans, don't really care for beans when I used it for chilli dogs/baked potato bar though.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Shran, I spied a camp shower in your tote. How do you like it? I've been considering something like that for two reasons:

1. My wife doesn't like going without showering. This limits our camping opportunities a lot. There is a ton of state forest camping around but they don't have showers. Less of a problem in the summer as we can use the solar shower and/or lake water usually, but spring and fall (the best times to be camping as far as I'm concerned) are a different story.
2. I generally camp when I go hunting. Alone it's not really a major deal. But riding home 8 hours in a pickup with three others that have been hiking 15 miles a day for the past week without cleaning up is less than pleasant.

My main concern was with the pump system. How do the batteries last? Will the heater work with a water bag hung up? I have 12V when we use our camper dry, but in the tent I generally don't. For example on a canoe trip if I don't want to have to carry a bunch of batteries.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shran, I spied a camp shower in your tote. How do you like it? I've been considering something like that for two reasons:

1. My wife doesn't like going without showering. This limits our camping opportunities a lot. There is a ton of state forest camping around but they don't have showers. Less of a problem in the summer as we can use the solar shower and/or lake water usually, but spring and fall (the best times to be camping as far as I'm concerned) are a different story.
2. I generally camp when I go hunting. Alone it's not really a major deal. But riding home 8 hours in a pickup with three others that have been hiking 15 miles a day for the past week without cleaning up is less than pleasant.

My main concern was with the pump system. How do the batteries last? Will the heater work with a water bag hung up? I have 12V when we use our camper dry, but in the tent I generally don't. For example on a canoe trip if I don't want to have to carry a bunch of batteries.
How do I like it - by FAR my #1 favorite thing about my camping/overland/glamping setup. I have gone through several revisions, this is what I have now:

I put a 15 gallon RV water tank in my Explorer where the spare tire was. That feeds into a 12v Seaflo 42 series RV pump, which has a demand switch so it only runs when the water is flowing. I put a garden hose style spigot on my rear bumper. From there, my Zodi shower hooks right up to that with a garden hose... this is where it gets complicated... I basically use the Zodi as a hot water heater, and recirculate back into the water tank, until the water is hot and then shut off the burner, and THEN I can shower. I have a small shower tent and a rubber mat that goes on the ground. I love it, my fiance loves it, there is nothing better than a nice hot shower after a day on the trail.

My one biggest complaint is that the Zodi shower isn't on demand and water MUST circulate through it while the burner is on or it'll turn to steam and blow the hoses off... thus the need to recirculate. Personally for that reason I think the Zodi sucks and I can't recommend it...and it really doesn't work well with pressurized water, there is a very delicate balance between too much pressure and cold water, and too little pressure and scalding hot water or steam. I paid $20 for it, as a recirculator, it works great, and I live with it.

I recently acquired a Camp Chef Triton 5L on demand hot water heater that I think I will be switching to eventually. The burner is on demand so it only lights when water is flowing and it only requires two D batteries for the ignitor. It will work off my existing pump perfectly, I just need a shower head and some hoses - a kitchen sink sprayer is what I use on the Zodi and it works well. Three of my friends have this exact water heater and some variation of pump setup. They all really like it and I would recommend looking at one of those. It's a fair bit bigger than my Zodi though.

Water usage - 15 gallons is enough for a day or two easily. One of my buddies has a water filter and uses creek or lake water, that's really nice if you want unlimited showers.

Batteries - my pump is wired into the battery in my Explorer. I have an AGM battery but it'll run for days and not drain it much. Don't know how it would work with a regular lead acid car battery.

If you build a shower box and want it usable with a battery besides your vehicle battery, I would highly suggest using the batteries for whatever kind of cordless tool you are using. One person I know reverse engineered a 12v Milwaukee M12 charger so that it runs off those batteries, another person uses Milwaukee M18s with a resistor to drop the voltage down to 12v. Both of those work incredibly well. You could also just buy a generic SLA battery at Interstate or whatever... or plug it into your cigarette lighter... lots of ways to do it. Cordless tool batteries are the shizz IMO.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Thanks Shran, good to know. I have been reading a bit and agree the constant flow requirement looks like a big drawback. With the solar shower you only use water to get wet before soap and to rinse it off. I saw they also had units that look like the old fire extinguishers that you heat for a while and pump up. Not sure if that would be any better functionally, but I think they would be clunky to move around and use.

I'll have to look into the Camp Chef. I also saw Mr. Heater has one that looks like it's on demand.

I was wondering if a power tool battery would work. The only roadblock there is the 'socket' for the battery but that shouldn't be too hard to overcome. Honestly I'm probably overthinking it as usual, and 90 percent of the time we would be near the vehicle anyway.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No prob. I think the Mr. Heater one is very similar to the Camp Chef...and there are a number of knockoffs too, you're probably OK with any of them.

The socket for the power tool is as easy as a charger with the guts removed and required to supply power vs charge. Or you can get some on eBay that are basically a 3D printed socket with wires that you can hook up to whatever. One very popular use for that is M18 batteries for kids Power Wheels toys.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

2. An axe
3. 3 matches
That's pretty much me plus a tent and beer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Gah... I can't help myself. I was out of town on business today with time to kill and bought a lot of random crap at yard sales, including this little gem for $10. It even came with half a gallon of fuel and the box - and it is MINT, and I really mean MINT. It's a 1993 production lantern. My "little lantern" collection is getting to be pretty well rounded - an early 288, a CL-1, a CL-2, and now this "adjustable double mantle" which is basically a CL-2 but labelled differently. I think I am just missing an early 286 and the red lanterns which I will probably never find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals