• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coil springs PPI static height questions

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have the shitty rancho lift but i am doing everything i can to make it stronger because i got it BRAND new out of a local 4wd shops clearance stuff for 250 bucks complete. the static ride height on my b2 with my 2.5 inch drop brackets should be close to 10 or 11 inches. what i am looking for are coils to maximize my flex without going past 11.5 inch static ride height. i am basically trying to get the most flex without raising my ride height. i want a low center of gravity and as much flex as possible without jacking my b2 into rollover land. i am also swaping in a d35 for my d28 if that makes any difference.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
the static ride height on my b2 with my 2.5 inch drop brackets should be close to 10 or 11 inches.
That's what it should be at stock height (I assume this is the installed & loaded height of the coil springs you're speaking of).

With the Rancho 2.5 lift, it should be closer to 13", maybe 13.5".

The 3" Skyjacker XJ coils should work well with that lift. You might need to weld a support tab to the top of the coil buckets to hold the coil from bowing out though.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what it should be at stock height (I assume this is the installed & loaded height of the coil springs you're speaking of).

With the Rancho 2.5 lift, it should be closer to 13", maybe 13.5".

The 3" Skyjacker XJ coils should work well with that lift. You might need to weld a support tab to the top of the coil buckets to hold the coil from bowing out though.
i trust you know what you are talking about but i am REALLY trying to keep this thing within specs for alignment purposes so if you could please provide me with the part number of the specific spring you are talking about. i am going to run the stiff rancho coils but plan on finding the best coils for flex and ride height by next spring if not sooner. any ideas on a good design for the support tab? i am also wondering if a single shock setup can control such soft shocks....

would these be the coils you are talking about? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SJA-JC30F&N=700+4294924677+4294908280+4294908279+4294925130+400135+115&autoview=sku

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep, those are them. They should sit right about 13" on a Bronco II. If needed, some washer shims can get it up a bit higher.

Single shocks can work if your steering linkage geometry is spot-on, although duals will still give you better control.

Here's the support tab I put on mine (click for bigger):

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i feel like a tard but i dont see the support tab. i looked at your cardomain page and saw what appears to be a conduit clamp you used to keep the coil in place along with prevent it form bowing out to much. so you think a 13~ static ride height should be obtainable with the skyjacker coils. what drop pitman arm would you recommend for this configuration if i was to use the jeep coils. i am trying to avoid fabrication for dual coils because my welding is, well, hack at best. i can recruit a skilled welder (my brother) if need be for some modifications. thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15

I guess the angle could be better, you're looking right at the edge of the tab.

On my Cardomain page, you should be able to see where the tab has a bend in it on the passengerside for the end of the coil wire.

I would think the Superlift arm, or the standard Skyjacker arm should work decent with your 2.5" lift.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks. how well will the rancho jeep springs work. a local shop has some new, old stock springs for 90 bucks! i am a cheap bastard. he says the free height is 18 inches and as i recall you used them at one point.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My experience with the Ranchos sucked. They kept sagging over time, requiring more & more washers stacked under them to maintain the height (right about the point I ran out of stud and couldn't put the coil retainer back on anymore, the springs started going into coil-bind due to the huge washer "pedestals" they were sitting on).

SJ coils are far better, they have not lost any amount of height that I can see at all.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i guess i will pay up and get they skyjackers. thanks.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well even tho i was told not to get the rancho springs i still had to buy them because the price was right. what should i look out for when i do this install? i have read up on everything available on via rangerstation but just want to make shure i dont do something stupid (Well unknowingly).

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I guess get yourself a whole bunch of 1-3/8" I.D. washers then.

You have a drop pitman arm on there right? (or better, a K-link steering setup)?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess get yourself a whole bunch of 1-3/8" I.D. washers then.

You have a drop pitman arm on there right? (or better, a K-link steering setup)?
i wish i had a k-link steering. drop pitman only (its FREE). i am planning on using shocks that are only 23-25ish inches fully expanded and putting a limiting strap thats around 21-23 inches. i am shooting for 12-15 inch closed height on the shocks. i dont have any suspension, axle etc under my b2 right now so i will be making changes as i go. remember i only have the rancho lift thats intended to be 2.5 inches so a little sagging will not be the end of the world. i already have an assortment of spacers if i need them. i also picked up some type of skyjacker 2.5 inch lift leaf springs that have a significant arch. i am shooting to use the majority of the springs in these packs to level the front and rear.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since it's a short lift, the drop pitman arm should be OK on it.

If you want the most flex, I wouldn't use limit straps (not one on each side anyway). A single limit cable or strap running from one side over the frame to the other side would work wonderfully though. This would give you all the articulation the suspension is capable of, but still stop both sides from unloading together.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since it's a short lift, the drop pitman arm should be OK on it.

If you want the most flex, I wouldn't use limit straps (not one on each side anyway). A single limit cable or strap running from one side over the frame to the other side would work wonderfully though. This would give you all the articulation the suspension is capable of, but still stop both sides from unloading together.
ok i believe i understand what you are talking about but please clarify. the idea i have in my head is a guided cable that allows i certain amount of total travel by the suspension that would be linked by a bolt in each radius arm or similar location via a cable linking the 2 together. the cable would prevent total unload of the suspension as you described. i want as much flex as possible without doing major surgery on my shock mounts in the buckets or on the radius arms. my goal is to use both the stock coil bucket mounts and the after market rancho mounts. i can and will change these things at some point in time if i am no longer happy with the flex i can achieve without moving the current shock mount locations. at that point i will understand how my new bastard lift works and be more likely to create a shock setup that maximizes both my flex and my dampening abilities. i am still without a trailer or a truck to tow a trailer so this pile of parts needs to be "road worthy" whatever in the hell that means. i am not asking for a brand new SUV here i just want the thing to be tame enough to control without crazy wheel hop from lane to lane that cant be controlled.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Have you seen this post?
(there's a link to that from this post)

You'll definitely want to extend at least one of your shock mounts so you can get a longer shock on there (the ones you described above definitely won't fit without extended mounts)

By far the biggest thing to maintaining good streetability is keeping your steering geometry together. That linkage has to be down flat & level with your beams if it's to not cause a bunch of bumpsteer and jacking of the suspension (particularly when you accelerate hard).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals