• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil packs

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any difference in the 2. 3.0 coil packs or wiring, other than the plug placement? One is top plug & one is side plug. I was going to get a spare from the junkyard the other day but the plug in was in the wrong location & was wondering if i could make it work in case of emergency.

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think you have a typo. What does "difference in 2. 3.0 coil packs or wiring" mean? Did you mean model year 2000, 2002?

I don't believe you mean 2.x liter 4 bangers coil pack. You have a 3.0 engine, right?

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The horizontal plug is wired differently than the vertical. I also believe the coil towers are different firing order as well, except for 2,6 which are still in the center

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think you have a typo. What does "difference in 2. 3.0 coil packs or wiring" mean? Did you mean model year 2000, 2002?

I don't believe you mean 2.x liter 4 bangers coil pack. You have a 3.0 engine, right?
I think he meant the 2 different coil packs available for the 3.0

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is there any difference in the 2. 3.0 coil packs or wiring, other than the plug placement? One is top plug & one is side plug. I was going to get a spare from the junkyard the other day but the plug in was in the wrong location & was wondering if i could make it work in case of emergency.
Looking at this picture, I would assume that the wires for 1/5 & 3/4 are opposite pins between the two pack setups...

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies. It looks like they just turned the coil packs around. The wiring harness plug is different, one plugs in from the top, the other from the side.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the replies. It looks like they just turned the coil packs around. The wiring harness plug is different, one plugs in from the top, the other from the side.
Remember you can get the coil pack off a Taurus, Sable, Ranger, B3000 too. As long as it's a 3.0. I wouldn't go with a horizontal plug if yours is vertical. But that's just me

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Remember you can get the coil pack off a Taurus, Sable, Ranger, B3000 too. As long as it's a 3.0. I wouldn't go with a horizontal plug if yours is vertical. But that's just me
Yea, that's the main reason i was asking. I was just wondering if the wiring to the coils was different, other than the placement. As far as anything else goes, i will both the mthrfkr to the hood upside down & sideways if it works. Lol.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yea, that's the main reason i was asking. I was just wondering if the wiring to the coils was different, other than the placement. As far as anything else goes, i will both the mthrfkr to the hood upside down & sideways if it works. Lol.
I feel you, I'm doing another oil change on my shitbox and hope that helps the tick. If not it's going to a shop. I'm tired of screwing with it. I could have bought and dropped a 5.0 in it with the 💰 I've spent on it. But that's my fault for being a parts thrower

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals