• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch question

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1988 4x4 w/2.9. Couple of days ago the clutch started engaging as soon as I started to let pressure off the pedal, no free play at bottom of pedal. I got it home, checked the fluid and it was just about dry. I refilled, looked for leaks and found none. Now the clutch doesnt engage until it is almost all the way out. It didn't do this until I filled the reservoir. Could the slave cylinder be bad? Any ideas?

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
I think you have an internal leak somewhere. bleed it, and see if it is using fluid on a regular basis.

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have driven it for 2 days and over 100 miles since I refilled it and it hasn't gone down a bit, so I dont think there is a leak. So how do you go about bleeding the slave cylinder?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After two days it should have bled itself.. besides air in the lines does zackly the opposite from your description. I like em near the top of the pedal! It's easier to shift out there...for me anyway. Pretty sure you do have a small leak somewhere. I'd be keeping a bottle of fluid in my truck till I found the leak. It may be the slave and if so it's going away pretty soon.
Big JIm

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am keeping fluid with me, but what do you mean by if its the slave its going away pretty soon? You mean the slave will go out?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Usually the slave starts leaking a little and then the seal goes all the way out.. Park it where you can look under the bell housing real good and then work the clutch about twenty times and look for where the fluid is coming from.. If it is leaking 20 or 30 pumps should get enough leakage for you to find the leak.
Big JIm

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Back to the clutch problem. When I first start it in the morning the clutch is very touchy. By that I mean, just start off the floor witht he peddle and away you go, the peddle slowly comes back up too. After the truck has been run for 15 minutes, then the clutch don't engage until almost all the way out. Haven't noticed any more fluid leaking, and have over 100 miles since I last filled it. HELP!!!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems you have one or the other master or slave leaking internally. Try to pump it up before you start the engine and see if it is then farther from the floor. The master is far easier to swap than the slave.. Soooo..
I'm not familiar with that slave.. If it is a circular slave and the tranny has to be dropped to swap it out.. I'd for sure be putting a complete kit in there while it was apart.
These kind of things are WARNINGS that you will soon be afoot.
Big JIm

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will try that. I don't see any leakage from the master, but cant see the slave. And yes, you have to drop the tranny to do the slave. If I have to I have to, and I will replace the clutch while its out.

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One more question on this. If the slave cylinder was leaking, wouldn't that cause the clutch to slip? Seems like with it in the bell housing, the leaking fluid would get picked up by the spinning clutch and make it slip or grab.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
One more question on this. If the slave cylinder was leaking, wouldn't that cause the clutch to slip? Seems like with it in the bell housing, the leaking fluid would get picked up by the spinning clutch and make it slip or grab.
nope, the way this slave is, the fluid leaks to far back to get onto the clutch disc...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals