• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch disc size?

Southernboy1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Im needing help with something here. I got a 2005 Ford ranger edge. 4.0 5 speed and 4x4. I was pricing around a clutch for it and at O'Reilly's the clutch disc size is 10-1/4. I found a cheaper one on Amazon and it says it will fit my ranger. But it's a 9-7/8 diameter. Will it work or no?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I looked on rockauto and most of those on there for your truck say 10 1/8 or 10 1/4 diameter. No 9 7/8 diameter clutches listed there. You do have the larger 4.0 engine.

P.S. I looked up the same truck with a 3.0 and they have 9 inch clutches listed for those.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Go with O'reilly's and you get another 14.75 square inches of grip on the pressure plate

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just measured the old pressure plate wear pattern from my 03' 4.0 4WD. I don't have the disc any longer. It is exactly 10". A 10 ¹/⁸" would be the largest disc that could be used without hanging over. I don't see why a 9 ⁷/⁸" wouldn't work.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did anybody say it wouldn't ?

Southernboy1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Did anybody say it wouldn't ?
It was on Amazon and I did all the specs on the ranger and in the description it said for 4.0 ranger, explorer,sport Trac and I looked at the specs of the clutch and everything was correct like the 23 splines, and what not except the disc size which thru me off

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was on Amazon and I did all the specs on the ranger and in the description it said for 4.0 ranger, explorer,sport Trac and I looked at the specs of the clutch and everything was correct like the 23 splines, and what not except the disc size which thru me off
My post was just some numbers about the increased disc size, which mostly defines the power sent to the pavement.
Did you get what you needed sorted out there?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They should have the name brand and part number of the clutch they are selling on Amazon? You should be able to grab that and do a google search on it. You could also search that part number on rockauto, they have many different brands on there. Sometimes you have to be a detective, no one is going to look out for your best interests, they just want your money.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd have never thought there was difference in size of the clutch disk for different brands. I always thought the difference was just for the 2.9 vs 4.0 flywheels.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im needing help with something here. I got a 2005 Ford ranger edge. 4.0 5 speed and 4x4. I was pricing around a clutch for it and at O'Reilly's the clutch disc size is 10-1/4. I found a cheaper one on Amazon and it says it will fit my ranger. But it's a 9-7/8 diameter. Will it work or no?
Do yourself a favor and do not order vital motor parts off Amazon. If they are selling counterfeit Motorcraft spark plugs, what do you think the chances are they will badly clone a clutch kit worth $100? Order from RockAuto or a local Advance Auto or even Autozone.

> But it's a 9-7/8 diameter.

I measured a clutch kit from Autozone that I bought to upgrade a 2.8L to 4.0L, it is for a 1993 Ford Ranger 4.0L and it measures 9 7/8" diameter.

SO ... I would say maybe the 2005 takes a 10.25 clutch disc because it makes 207 hp @ 5250 rpm vs. the 160 HP of the 1993 X engine.

Makes sense, correct?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals