• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chopped Top B2 on Wagoneer chassis

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I temporarily bolted my trailer winch to the front bumper to load it on the tow dolly. I need to buy a dedicated winch for it, any recommendations?

Attachments

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to use a Rhino type lining on the bottom rocker panels, there are several different brands. Does anyone have experience between the different brands?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So I temporarily bolted my trailer winch to the front bumper to load it on the tow dolly. I need to buy a dedicated winch for it, any recommendations?
There is some debate on what the proper winch sizing is. The general rule of thump for straps and attachment points is the break limit should be three times the working load. How that information is listed on the equipment varies. Some state only the break limit, some only the working load, and some both.

So, based on that, you will need to figure out which winch is right for you. Some say an 8 or 9 thousand pound winch is all you need. Some say 12,000 pounds. I haven’t looked that closely at winches yet to say if the load rating listed for winches is the working load or the breaking load. Based on previous conversations, I’m inclined to say it’s the breaking load and I would look for something that meets or exceeds three times the weight of your vehicle.

Part of the reason for that is because if you are stuck in mud, you are not only fighting the linear force of the vehicle weight but the added weight of pulling the vehicle up out of the mud as well as any resistance caused by the mud sucking on the tires as they try to break free. Plus any upward incline there may be. The amount of force needed for that is going to be much higher than a vehicle stuck on a flat, hard surface.

Then there is the consideration of what kind of line to use. Both have their pluses and minuses.

Steel cable/wire rope can cut a person in half if it breaks. Synthetic rope will not, not to say it won’t hurt you.

Steel cable/wire rope is more weather UV resistant but can corrode from the inside out, hiding a potential failure point. Synthetic rope is much more visibly obvious.

Steel cable/wire rope is harder to work with since it will be more stiff and inflexible but tends to be thinner in diameter than synthetic rope.

Steel cable/wire rope is cheaper and easier to get than synthetic rope.

Steel cable/wire rope can have pieces of wire sticking out that can stab or cut your hand. Synthetic rope will not.

Properly maintained, both will serve you well. Both need to be cleaned from time to time and after a messy recovery. There is a protective cable lube out there to help prevent the cable from rusting from the inside out.

Both still need something to keep the line from flying if it breaks and the use of leather gloves.

If my wallet gives me the choice, I would get a 12,000 pound winch with synthetic line. The first compromise would be to get the same rating but with wire rope.

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sandman, that was a good overview, thanks. I'm always in favor of a bit over overkill so a 12K winch seems right for me :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

crisd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sometimes I really wonder what drugs he got into as a child...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals