• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check Oil Light

spiritbear928

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK. I have an 87 with a 2.9. I have had it a year. The oil sending unit was leaking a lot and was replaced 11 months ago. Since then my gauge always reads no oil pressue. Since I have driven 20000 miles since then, I assume it has pressure and the gauge is toast.

About a month ago the check oil light came on. I checked the oil and it was a quart low. I put a quart in and it was fine. Last night it came on again then went off on its own. Checked the oil. Its a quart low again. Didnt have time to put oil in. Drove to work and havent seen light since. wtf?

In addition, I have a hot start problem that I posted about as well. Probably not related.

HOw can I see what my oil pressure really is?

Is the check oil light checking pressure or level? I would have to think pressure because it never came on when the truck was leaking out a quart a day with the bad sending unit

I dont have a lot of money and I want this truck to run forever. It has to last at least 4.5 more years

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Install an oil pressure gauge if you want to know what your real pressure is.

Oil pressure light is for low oil pressure.....CHeck oil light is for the oil level, if it's low it should come on and stay on until you add oil. If you stop very abruptly it may come on momentarily as all the oil in the pan sloshes forward and then go off as it drains back down to the pan where it belongs...usually only happens if it's already low on oil though.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
There is a seperate sensor for the oil pressure. It is on the front of the motor, driverside, sorta sticking out into the middle of nowhere off the block. I would check to see if the wire has come off that sensor.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The "check oil" light is for the oil level (the sending unit is on the drivers side of the pan, you cant miss it), it comes on when it's quart low, I'm lazy and add a quart when it comes on...
The pressure sending unit moniters the pressure, all it really is is a switch, when it's over like 7PSI the needle goes up, under that and the needle flatlines. Did you use teflon tape with the new sensor? If so it can prevent the sending unit from grounding, and it wont show anything. I highly recomend going to your local auto parts store and purchasing a mechanical oil pressure gauge (around $20 usually), it will come with the nessesary fittings to plumb the gauge where the stock sending unit goes and it will be very accurate and not electronic dependant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals