• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CHECK ENG. light stays on after new fuel pump

45acp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1st - 1994
2nd
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
1st 4.0 2nd 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
With no warning the other day my 94 (4.0L, 5sp,) just died on me. When I restarted it, it would alternate between periods of running ok and running rough and stalling at idle (probably 30 seconds of running ok, then 30seconds running bad). WHen this would happen the "check engine" light would come on - and then go off when the truck started to run ok again. If this were another vehicle - say my old Toyota truck I would imedeatly diagnose it as a clogged fuel filter, but I had just had the fuel filter changed about 8k miles ago.

I checked everything that I had the ability and eqpt. handy to check and the only thing I definately could find was that this only occured when the engine had warmed up. I suspected a fuel pump, but decided to take it to a garage up the street and let them make the diagnostics just to avoid the repeated buying of unnecessary emission parts. They confirmed that it was the fuel pump, and replaced it. $362!

The truck now seems to run alright, but my problem is that now the "check engine " light stays on all the time. The manager at the garage told me that it needed a new MAFsensor to get the light to go off..???

I keep the maintenance on this truck beyond perfect. I do preemptive maintenance to the degree that I change the battery every 3 years even if it is still good. The "check engine" light had NEVER come on in this truck except at startup when it's suppost to. THis MAF diagnosis makes no sense to me, as I know that when the MAF is dirty or bad you get bad preignition knock/rattle. I have cleaned the one on this truck before and it has not given me any problems.

AT 120k miles this truck just decided that it was going to die despite all my attempts othewise. ( new: brakes-discs, calipers, master cylinder, A/C, belt tensioner, shift rail plug leaks, clutch cyl air leaks, shifter problems, Cat. Conv. heat shield, et al....) it's costing me more than it's worth to keep it repaired.
SO I have decided to sell the P.I.T.A.

ANyone know what may be the problem with with the CHECK ENG light & how I may be able to fix it (besides the o'l electrical tape fix)? I'm wondering about some sort of pressure problem in the gas tank, as the replacement of the pump would open the tank for a while - like a gas cap left off. It sure won't be any easier to sell with that light glaring :) Thanks.

gbadgley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 Explorer
Make / Model
02 Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
To be honest it sounds to me like the truck is FAR from dead, Have you priced new trucks lately? I would reset the codes or have the garage that did the pump clear them and see what happens. When I first got mine there were codes stored, I cleared them and have had no codes since. Greg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals