• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheapie Radiator & Leak

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced my radiator 2 years ago thru a friend who owns a gas station...I paid around $130 for what was supposedly a good radiator. I installed it myself. Maybe I got hosed I dunno..

But, it is leaking now, from the right most,m lower corner where the metal is crimper/rolled around the side of the plastic end-tank. It only seems to leak when the truck is off as far as I can tell (is the coolant system pressurized after shut down?).

Any thoughts on why a 2 year old radiator is already leaking? It really shouldn't be, but maybe my friend didn't do me a favor after all.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep!

I replaced my radiator 2 years ago thru a friend who owns a gas station...I paid around $130 for what was supposedly a good radiator. I installed it myself. Maybe I got hosed I dunno..

But, it is leaking now, from the right most,m lower corner where the metal is crimper/rolled around the side of the plastic end-tank. It only seems to leak when the truck is off as far as I can tell (is the coolant system pressurized after shut down?).

Any thoughts on why a 2 year old radiator is already leaking? It really shouldn't be, but maybe my friend didn't do me a favor after all.
Sometimes we are the windshield and sometimes we are the bug!
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
It's just an el cheapo radiator, that's all. I'll be needing a "third" radiator in my Jeep soon. The first original one did the same thing, I paid to have it replaced the first time. didn't get a year out of it before I drove through someone. So I got another new one. A little over a year and it's leaking in the same spots.

I'm debating on what to do, I know I'm not gonna pay someone to install a new one because they are gonna go with the cheapest one they can find, used or new. I'll probably look online and find a better quality one, if possible, and replace myself.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
bump.

is there a larger radiator I can swap in with a little modification? say a 5.0L v8 radiator?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I just swapped in a 4.0 Explorer 3 core all aluminum radiator. It was around 140 shipped from ebay. Its about 1/8 to 1/4" thicker that the stock unit. It works really well. I havent had it that long but I am happy with it so far. However, I do have the identical model in a 2 core configuration on my dune buggy. Its been on for over 2 HARD seasons and I have had no issues with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-3-Row-All-Aluminum-Radiator-V6-3-0-4-0-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aExplorerQQhashZitem5d2e3918bcQQitemZ400207452348QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here is a pic of the 2 core model in my buggy...

In my B2 with my new saginaw ps swap.

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that link! I am going to replace mine with that 3 core all aluminum one (after I verify it fits, but if memory serves me right then it should based off the listed dimensions).

Looks like it even has the transmission cooler line hook ups too.

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Yup, it has auto tranny hook ups too!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals