• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changed timing belt. what are symptoms of oil pump sprocket being off a tooth?

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck runs great, pulls great. but at idle there seems to be a slight vibration. i know for a fact that my cam and crank sprocket were lined up perfect but my oil pump sprocket could possibly be off a tooth because if i remember correctly the points on the diamonds werent exactly ligned up. but they were very close. so im guessing its possible that the sprocket could be turned one tooth clockwise. but i want to make sure that could be the issue before i tear everything apart again. and my oil pressure is fine if that means anything.

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any ideas? Ive put about 100 miles on it since the install. runs great just has the slight shake at an idle tho. and hasnt thrown any codes.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not sure to be honest, but I don't think that matters at all...if you were running a distributor then that would make a huge difference...but the oil pump is just turned by the timing belt to pump the oil...

More likely would be the pulley itself is either not in round or out of balance...just open the hood and watch it spin...if you can see a wobble in the pulley then it's wonky...

Other possible sources would be a spark arc...start it up at night and turn out the lights...if you see a light show under there then you need to space the wires so they don't touch anything...spray a bit of water on them to see if that makes the lights any brighter...don't use anything flamable...

Could also be a plug or something not firing properly...but you would get codes for that...eventually...and listen for exhaust leaks with the hood open...

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
On the 95+ Lima engine, I believe the cam sensor reads from the oil pump area.
It is buried behind the power steering pump.

I had to replace mine a few months ago.. What a pain in the a$$.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
On the 95+ Lima engine, I believe the cam sensor reads from the oil pump area.
Correct, it's on the back of the aux oil pump gear, so that also needs to be lined up.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes,oil pump marks must be right on also

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well all its doigng is giving me a slight vibration at idle. and since the cam sensor runs off that, wouldnt my check engine light come on if it was out of line? And aside from the idle, are there any long term affects of it being off a tooth? Could it damage anything? Or could i line up the cam sensor to the current position of the oil pump?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well all its doigng is giving me a slight vibration at idle. and since the cam sensor runs off that, wouldnt my check engine light come on if it was out of line? And aside from the idle, are there any long term affects of it being off a tooth? Could it damage anything? Or could i line up the cam sensor to the current position of the oil pump?
Nope, won't come on. I had mine way the F$#k off and it never said a thing. Just shuddered once in a while on takeoff (manual trans). After a while it got worse, the power dipped off, the shuddering got worse too. At some point it blew away the electrode to the #3 cylinder on the drivers side. THAT threw a check engine light for a misfire, but my timing (camshaft position sensor, which also controls ignition timing) was so far off it thought it was cylinder #2, which was physically fine.

ultimately it wouldn't go past 60 no matter what gear or throttle position, and the engine tried to escape from under the hood upon attempting so. That's when I stopped driving the truck and tore it apart 3 more times before I finally fixed it.

I did a compression test but I'm doubtful of how accurate it is, maybe it did damage the engine. But my compression was around 80psi give or take for all cylinders, according to the gauge. Also on a scan reader I borrowed it claimed it was kicking my timing 40-50 degrees advanced.

After finally realizing there were SEVERAL marks on the gear I lined up the gear correctly and the truck has ran great. I say great, but not like new. It is slower, it still shudders and vibrates a little on startup but evens out after 5 seconds or so, power is still a bit less than before. I put about 20,000 miles on it while it was wonky.

Bottom line, fix it. Don't close it back up until those marks line up, and they will line up.

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a test i can do to see if my cam sensor is off? its almost like the vibration is getting better. people that have ridden with me say they cant feel anything and that im overanalyzing it. but if theres a way that i can test the sensor/timing then that would be perfect.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I had access to a fancy scan gauge which gave me a ignition timing chart. It'll be a good 5-10° off normal if it's off a tooth.

Normal advance should hover around 5-15° ish. I can't recall spec off the top of my head.

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can i check the timing on these trucks with a timing light or do i need to hook up a scanner to the obd2 port?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Can i check the timing on these trucks with a timing light or do i need to hook up a scanner to the obd2 port?
Not particularly, you'd pretty much need the high end scanner.

It was advancing mine 40-50° at times, I doubt a normal engine would even run at that advance. It was kicking it that far ahead because it was compensating and trying to get the engine to run "normal". So when you use a timing light, you'll see your timing might be a little weird, but nothing glaringly wrong, it might even show it correct. You'd think problem solved a this point if it changes it to the correct position, but it won't do that under all conditions or loads, it'll still run screwey. Like mine, it wouldn't go past 60 mph and the engine eventually tried bucking you out of the seat when you tried.

Sorry.

On the other hand, as much of a pain it is to do them, mine went 200,000 miles before it broke and 13 years. Honestly an afternoon to take things apart and check on things doesn't look so bad in comparison.

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, i guess i will just tear it back down. And i can easily go over 70. It doesnt give me any problems aside from the idle. thats why i was reluctant to tear it back down if i didnt need to.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just take a sat afternoon and pull the timing cover and see were the marks are.Shouldn't take a hour or so then you will have peace of mind

hotrod101786

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i just hooked up our scanner while my car was idling and advance was moving between 23 and 27 degrees at an idle. so does that sound like the cam sensor being off because of the oil pump sprocket? Im gonna check my marks tomorrow. thanks for the help btw guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals