• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb Jetting

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1985 ford ranger 4 speed 4 inch lift 33's and the guy i got it from told me it was being ran to rich and it needed to be re-jetted and you can definatley tell too.its a motorcraft carb so what jets should be ran?

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Going by memory, I should be running #51 jets in my Motorcraft 2150, non-feedback carb. I had to richen up the mixture a bit after this engine build.

Your jet size will be mainly determined by the size of the venturi in the carb you are using (and other factors such as engine build and altitude). 2150's were found on everything from the 2.8L V6 to the 351/400M V8's.

I run the 1.08 venturi, which I believe was the stock type found on non-feedback 2.8L engines.

When I ordered the carb it came with #48 jets, so that gives you a starting point.

Hope this helps.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks.i am gonna pull the carb off this weekend.it seems to have like some sort of spacer between the carb and the intake manifold,,not sure what it is but i was wondering if it was necessary to have on there?:icon_surprised:

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
There is normally a plastic insulator between the manifold and carb base. Its primary purpose is to keep the heat from tranferring between the manifold and carb and causing fuel evaporation problems in the float chamber.

I broke mine and ended up using the paper spacer that came with some random rebuild kit I had lying around. You need a spacer that has poor heat tranfer properties between wet manifolds and carbs. An aluminum spacer that has thick paper gaskets between the manifold and carb base works well as well. I made one for an old car and it worked like a hot damn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals