• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cannot install brake drum after replacing brakes

drcpub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2D
Transmission
Automatic
On the drivers side rear, the parking brake cable seems much tighter, as if slightly engaged compared to the passenger rear. The passenger rear went together fine, drum slipped right in place and I had to adjust the star wheel to make contact with drum, not so with the driver side. Comparing the 2 sides parking brake sprint tension, the driver side seems like it is partially engaged. I think that's why the drum has such a hard time going in place. I was looking at some diagrams of the cable release along the frame and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fix this problem. The drums are dragging so much the truck cannot be driven like this. Anyway to loosen the driver side? or maybe where the issue might be? Thank you in advance

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's probably a cable that is rusted and stuck.

When the parking brake is completely released the tops of the brake shoes should be in full contact with the backing plate anchor pin. Take a look. if the shoes aren't touching... the cable is stuck.

You might take a long screwdriver and place it on the bottom of the park brake lever where the cable connects. Then take a hammer and tap the screw driver in an attempt to pull the cable reliving the cable tension that is holding the shoes off the anchor pin. Once those cables start sticking... there is much hope for them. Will probably require replacement.

drcpub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2D
Transmission
Automatic
Can I detach the end of the cable, inside the drum that connects to the lever? So at least I can drive it and have it replaced at my leisure?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I WILL NOT recommend that you disable the parking brake in any way.

To aid diagnose the issue you could remove the parking brake strut that connects the lever to the shoe. Once removed ensure both shoes fully come closed on the anchor pin. If so... order up new cables... reinstall the park brake strut and be on your merry way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals