• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a Used B-Series

md00150028

Reaction score
I'm think about potentially buying a 2001 B2300. 140k miles, 5 speed. Sorry if this is posted somewhere (I couldn't find it), but what are some of the things I should be looking for when I go to look at it/test drive it? Rust? Mechanical Stuff? Things I might not think to test? If there is a thread on this, feel free to just link it...I'm willing to read through it.

As a bit of background, if it matters, I live in the NE and have owned Subarus most of my life (project car is 2000 RS), so most of my knowledge (if you can call it that) is in H4's that like to burn oil and to blow head gaskets. The goal is to have a non-daily driver truck that is used just to haul small projects around (like mulch, landscaping stuff, etc.). Or maybe it is my nearly mid-life crisis telling me I need another car in the driveway. Who knows?

Thanks for the input. Again, feel free to link me a thread if you know of one. And you can yell at me too for not finding it in the first place.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The big factor you will be dealing with is rust.... it runs wild in the North.

Spring shackles and hangers... hell even frames, Bottoms of the doors... front core support... bottom of the bed... rockers and cab corners. I would also venture to say it probably needs new brake lines if they haven't been replaced already.

I'm sure others will post up...

Welcome to TRS

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2001.5 was 1st year for the 2.3l Duratec in B2300
Early 2001 used 2.5l Lima(B2500), then mid year(2001.5) Ford/Mazda switched to the 2.3l Duratec(Mazda L engine)

2001 to 2003 used electric thermostat and IMRC(intake manifold runner control), both of these parts had issues so Ford/Mazda dropped them on the 2004 and up 2.3ls
These are not bad issues just something to be aware of, extra repair points as needed

2.3l Duratec was a good running engine, was reliable, and MPG was OK, for a pickup truck
A turbo version of the 2.3l is used in the 2019/20 Rangers, 2.3l Ecoboost

md00150028

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for the welcomes and the info. According to his post, it is the 2.3. It doesn't appear to have any cosmetic rust from the pictures, but I know that means nothing. He's pretty high on price, in my opinion, at $2800, especially considering it is cosmetically beat up and he claims it needs tires and brakes (quick search looks like that will cost me at least $600). If I do look at it, I'll definitely check everything you mentioned out. Again, thank you for not doing the old: "I'm not answering a noob's questions...get out of here" thing.

1999Mazda Central Florida

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
Michelin LTX M/S P235-75R15
Ranger Station is a great forum!
I watched over the shoulder of a friend (mechanic) who helped me change my timing belt at the 140K mileage when I first got my 1999 B2500. The belt was loose and was due to be replaced and actually sounded smoother after replacement. Went ahead and replaced the water pump and radiator (they are not that expensive) and hoses while I was at it since everything was exposed.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals