• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building me a N/A junkyard motor.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well, i managed to get a job finally so i'll have some extra cash, one of the things on the list is a spare motor for the 87, thats better than stock...

end goal is a stout N/A motor that makes about 120-130hp and 9.5:1 compression.

Onto the partlist!
89-9x block, the one with the distibutor hole provision.
98-01 crank rods and pistions
91 mustang head
93+ tube manifold
unsure about intake setup yet...

mods are port n polish, heatwrap the exhaust manifold, shave the head a little mabey even shell out the cash for forged rods and pistons..

are my power goals realistic? will the parts play nice with each other, did i miss any other tricks?

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Before you shell out for a forged bottom end, I would get a mild cam, and if you get the cam you can really mill the head-like .060+. With the mods you have listed you should be at 130hp if you mill/ port the head enough. Put a good cam in and mill .080 off and you should be at 150. I think i would put ARP rod bolts in if you want to spin it over 6500 much.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
a good cam sounds like a good idea, will definitly(sp) be using good quality fasteners for sure. i wonder how much off the head i can mill before it becomes an interference engine or compression gets above 9.5:1, which is probly the highest 87 octance can handle, probly should use 9.4: like on the mid 90's engines..

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keep in mind that if you have a longer duration cam, the valves will be open longer. That will lower your dynamic compression ratio. So with a bigger cam you can get away with running more compression.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
mustang svo site

well, i managed to get a job finally so i'll have some extra cash, one of the things on the list is a spare motor for the 87, thats better than stock...

end goal is a stout N/A motor that makes about 120-130hp and 9.5:1 compression.

Onto the partlist!
89-9x block, the one with the distibutor hole provision.
98-01 crank rods and pistions
91 mustang head
93+ tube manifold
unsure about intake setup yet...

mods are port n polish, heatwrap the exhaust manifold, shave the head a little mabey even shell out the cash for forged rods and pistons..

are my power goals realistic? will the parts play nice with each other, did i miss any other tricks?
mustang svo or turbo t-bird sites
You can pick up some good deals on forged parts.:icon_welder:

logman7777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I have gathered from the Merkur sites and such shaving the head .060 , gasket match/ rough polish and your selection of the shorty OEM "header" should get you close to 150 w/o playing with a cam. As long as you dont want to rev the snot out of it and keep within its stock redline you dont need forged pistons or ARE studs either. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad