• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

budget lift kits

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering what people had to say about budget lift kits. NTWonline.com has budget kits for $500 for a 6" for my 95 ranger and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. It says in their ad that they're discounted name brand kits bought in bulk. Anyone?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Bottom line is....you get what you pay for.

Is this the kit? http://www.ntwonline.com/83-97_RANGER_6_KIT_W_SHOCKS_P12793C198.cfm

If so, it looks like a Tuff Country kit, which is alright. Going by the pics it doesn't have the drop 'plate' which can punch a hole in your diff.

It looks like a decent deal, especially since it comes with shocks. (although, they probably aren't the best...)

The question is what will you be using the truck for?
Any serious off roading and I would go with a higher quality lift. If it is just a DD/Mall Cruiser, this kit would be fine.

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This will be my wheeling truck but I don't really do anything too hardcore. I like to play in the mud and climb the hills back in Mizpah. Since it doesn't include the drop plate would I be able to get one from another company and use it or is the drop plate a non universal deal for these trucks/kits?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The drop plate is something you Do Not want. :D

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
doh i thought that was the thing to prevent punching a hole in the diff. Now I know at least. I think I might chance buying it so I can fit at least a set of 33's. I don't like the idea of the rear blocks but I could probably get a set of leaves later on to at least shorten the blocks

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Get Explorer rear springs and or extended shackles instead of blocks. They're cheap and a much better way to lift it.

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual
anyone got an idea of what a 4'' suspension lift for a 96 ranger will run? i already got 2'' blocks in the rear.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Bottom line is....you get what you pay for.

Is this the kit? http://www.ntwonline.com/83-97_RANGER_6_KIT_W_SHOCKS_P12793C198.cfm

If so, it looks like a Tuff Country kit, which is alright. Going by the pics it doesn't have the drop 'plate' which can punch a hole in your diff.

It looks like a decent deal, especially since it comes with shocks. (although, they probably aren't the best...)

The question is what will you be using the truck for?
Any serious off roading and I would go with a higher quality lift. If it is just a DD/Mall Cruiser, this kit would be fine.
That's not a tuff country kit.. I don't know what the **** it is...

This is a tuff country kit. http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/248604.html

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That's not a tuff country kit.. I don't know what the **** it is...
That site has a wrong pic (that's an F-150 kit).

6" won't be Tuff Country either, they only make a 4". I would guess it's a generic Skyjacker (or possibly Superlift) kit. If it's Skyjacker, my guess is it won't have the same beefy brackets included in the kits currently sold under their own name, it's probably the old-style Class 1 stuff.
Being 6" you may want to order the Skyjacker FA600 pitman arm to go along with it (guaranteed the one that comes with it will be too short. They all are). See if maybe they'll make a substitution on it and you just pay the difference in price.

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i think that pretty much all the "lift kits" are the same. i have the 6" skyjacker on my 95' and its basically just drop down brackets and longer coils.

you should call that place and make sure it comes with everything you need though because you WILL need :
-longer brake lines ($80)
-drop down pitman arm ($80)
-caster/camber alignment bushings ($50 ea.)

and by the way its not a 6 hour install. it took almost 6 hours just to get all the damn rivets out. make sure you have a grinder and an air-hammer to get those out.

mht95ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well then how is that Tuff Country kit then? For $605 with shocks could it be that bad??

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any other good places to order kits from? That 4" at suspension connection combined with coil spacers and exploder leaves could get me 6" or would that be a bad idea? I'm looking to run 33's and of course the tax return money is burning a hole in my pocket lol.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I appreciate it.:icon_thumby:

funinthemud

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just get a good 4" lift and run a 3" body lift. i ran 35"s on my b2 and wheeled it pretty hard. i got the cheap rough country lift too. but like it was said above you get what you pay for.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Well then how is that Tuff Country kit then? For $605 with shocks could it be that bad??
Pretty good for a cheap kit. It fits up well. The only drawback to it is the coils are real stiff. With an extended cab 4.0 they would probably ride alright though.

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i called ntw about that 6" kit and talked to a guy there that was pretty helpful. the kit is an actual superlift kit and comes with everything in the front except sway bar mounts and extended brake lines. the rear uses a 4 1/2 inch block(not to fond of) and skyjacker has rear springs if you want to go that route but are kind of hefty at around 400 bucks for the pair he said. hope this helps out a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals