• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco ll suspension ranger suspension same?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nope. The b-2 2wd uses 4wd suspension parts. Ranger 2wd parts wont work.
In fact, the b-2 2wd uses a dummy transfer case.... who knows why.
Sort of…

I have an 89 BII that was 2wd and I converted to 4x4. Definitely a bit of a strange animal. Not entirely sure how it compares to the Rangers other than I know 4x4 Rangers and 4x4 Bronco II share the same suspension components and 4x4 Explorer has some similar components. I also know that 2wd and 4x4 Rangers had different frames except for Edge and Trailhead models in 98+, but that’s neither here nor there with this topic.

2wd Bronco II used 4x4 coil buckets with a 1.5” lift coil compared to the 4x4 version. The axle pivot for the drivers side beam was the same for both (speaking strictly between Bronco II versions here), but the axle pivot for the passenger side beam was different. Shocks were different length. Rear suspension was the same. The dummy case was a fully machined case, just with no guts or fluid and the sliding sleeve for engagement had a snap ring to lock it in 2wd high essentially. I want to say there was a plug hanging for the 4x4 sensor off the chassis harness and the bulbs were missing in the gauge cluster. I don’t know for sure if 83-88 versions are the same as the 89-90 versions, but that’s the differences I saw

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sort of…

I have an 89 BII that was 2wd and I converted to 4x4. Definitely a bit of a strange animal. Not entirely sure how it compares to the Rangers other than I know 4x4 Rangers and 4x4 Bronco II share the same suspension components and 4x4 Explorer has some similar components. I also know that 2wd and 4x4 Rangers had different frames except for Edge and Trailhead models in 98+, but that’s neither here nor there with this topic.

2wd Bronco II used 4x4 coil buckets with a 1.5” lift coil compared to the 4x4 version. The axle pivot for the drivers side beam was the same for both (speaking strictly between Bronco II versions here), but the axle pivot for the passenger side beam was different. Shocks were different length. Rear suspension was the same. The dummy case was a fully machined case, just with no guts or fluid and the sliding sleeve for engagement had a snap ring to lock it in 2wd high essentially. I want to say there was a plug hanging for the 4x4 sensor off the chassis harness and the bulbs were missing in the gauge cluster. I don’t know for sure if 83-88 versions are the same as the 89-90 versions, but that’s the differences I saw
You are talking about the differences between a 2wd Bronco and a 4x4 Bronco correct? We all know the rear suspension is not the same between a ranger and a Bronco II. Just wanted to clarify that.

P.S. I didn't know they were different till I tried to bolt a ranger rearend into my Bronco.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Sort of…

I don’t know the extent of the differences between the 1st and 2nd gen BII, but I know the 2nd Gen 2wd didn’t use the dummy transfer case.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are talking about the differences between a 2wd Bronco and a 4x4 Bronco correct? We all know the rear suspension is not the same between a ranger and a Bronco II. Just wanted to clarify that.

P.S. I didn't know they were different till I tried to bolt a ranger rearend into my Bronco.
You're right. I forgot about that. Iirc the b2 axle spring perches are about 3/4" inboard compared to rangers. And possibly off center as well. I swapped a b2 rear into a ranger and always had rubbing on the drivers side when the axle articulated. I made a flat plate to sandwich between the b2 perch and the ranger spring. Its documented in one of my b2 threads.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I tried forcing the ranger rearend to fit, which I did, and then tried to shim the pumpkin nose up, which I did. What a mess. I finally ended up going to tractor supply and buying some weld on trailer axle pads. They fit perfect on the ranger rearend tube. I cut the original ranger perches off, and then installed the rearend and u-bolts with the new trailer perches in the right place. I was then able to sit the weight of the Bronco back down on the wheels and then take a jack and lift the pumpkin snout up, on the BII it's about 9 degrees up with the double cardan joint up front.

I was then able to tack everything in place and then fully weld it. Been driving it for awhile now. Haven't noticed or figured out why the BII pumpkin is off centered. I am running the centered ranger pumpkin with no apparent problems.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Ehh, it depends. I forget what year, but the spring perches moved a little, now that you mention it. If I think about it I’ll try looking. Driveshaft yoke may or may not change.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don’t know the extent of the differences between the 1st and 2nd gen BII, but I know the 2nd Gen 2wd didn’t use the dummy transfer case.
My 89 is a 2nd Gen 2wd (or rather was) and had a dummy transfer case

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
My 89 is a 2nd Gen 2wd (or rather was) and had a dummy transfer case
Really?! My buddy had an ‘89 (at least he said it was an ‘89. I never checked and he wasn’t really a car guy.) and I had a ‘90 2wd... neither had the dummy case.
Either it was a late production thing for ‘89 or my my buddy is stupid... or both.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Really?! My buddy had an ‘89 (at least he said it was an ‘89. I never checked and he wasn’t really a car guy.) and I had a ‘90 2wd... neither had the dummy case.
Either it was a late production thing for ‘89 or my my buddy is stupid... or both.
Interesting. I know it was somewhat common to swap to a 2wd transmission when the trans blew up since a 2wd trans was cheaper and easier to source

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Interesting. I know it was somewhat common to swap to a 2wd transmission when the trans blew up since a 2wd trans was cheaper and easier to source
You can tell OEM from a swap...
The 2wd non-dummy case BIIs didn’t use the transmission slip joint. They had a drive flange that bolted to the output shaft of the trans and had a slip joint in the driveshaft.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You can tell OEM from a swap...
The 2wd non-dummy case BIIs didn’t use the transmission slip joint. They had a drive flange that bolted to the output shaft of the trans and had a slip joint in the driveshaft.
Did they still use the double cardone joint?

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals