• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken front axle

CaseyVR6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
87 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.9L 5sp

I had a u-joint I could hear squeaking but wanted to wait till snow to replace it. It had other plans and busted the ear off the outer shaft. :annoyed: The question is this:

Can I replace the axle(s) without upgrading the front diff or do I need to do it all at once (cost is a huge consideration)? Where can I order the parts? I'm looking now with no luck (either OE or larger). I was going to swap to solid axle but cost prohibits, plus this is only a firewood and OMFG weather truck...

nate09

Reaction score
go to a junk yard and get an outer shaft and swap it in place of the busted one. heck you can ask around here, im sure you can find one cheap.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep junkyard is your best bet.

Or swap to the D35 front axle, much stronger, and basically bolts right in.

CaseyVR6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Elaborate on "basically" because I'd love to upgrade if it's not too expensive. The truck is in great shape but I have to work in nickels and dimes.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
how do he has a dana 28? and dana 35 you can probably pick up the whole front end from a junkyard that will bolt in as long as the gear ratio is the same as your current rear end

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yep junkyard is your best bet.

Or swap to the D35 front axle, much stronger, and basically bolts right in.
he'll wanna swap the entire axle out after an hour of pounding on spindles to get them off :D I know if I hada do it over I would have switched to D35

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Elaborate on "basically" because I'd love to upgrade if it's not too expensive. The truck is in great shape but I have to work in nickels and dimes.
The definition of basically: you will have to shorten the front drive shaft. You probably can't find a D35 for nickles and dimes. People will stone you to death with D28 parts. Since yours died of neglect, I would just fix it and then start neglecting it again. That's the cheapest way.

I have a D28 still under a truck but my motivation to even think about it is so low that there is no chance I would take it off and send onyone the parts. I've offered it to many people but nobody wants to bother to take it off. But if it were out, and apart, I would be happy to throw the parts at you.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
he'll wanna swap the entire axle out after an hour of pounding on spindles to get them off :D I know if I hada do it over I would have switched to D35
Thing is, the D35 will need the same work, and the spindles are just as hard to shock loose. I've gotten several where the parts were just eaten with rust and not worth putting back in. The center joint, and yokes, on most D35s is wasted because it is hard to change and nobody bothers. It's the only piece I'd rather have from a serious offroad truck than a street truck. No offroad truck has made it too long without busting something on a D35. Once they have been apart a few times they are much easier to work on.

CaseyVR6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I picked up the truck about 4 months ago from a disabled elderly gent who had shredded the clutch literally to ribbons. I've been tinkering with it since then while I've been pulling light loads of firewood off the mountain. This past month was half a dozen sensors, with wires and vac lines. I was hoping to have another month before having to pull the front end apart (had an 85 ranger a few years ago, so I know how much it's a PITA). Thanks for the direction, scouring local salvage yards now. If anyone has upgraded and has the old parts, I'll throw a few $$ for shipping and trouble to get them out of your garage...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1991 parts truck wating to be turned into beer :beer: In CT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals