• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake issues

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
I'm having a major problem with the driver side drum brake on my 89 ranger. the lever that works the adjuster wheel has broken twice. a little back story, po replaced shoes and line but broke bleeder valve, I went to put a new wheel cylinder in and when I pulled the drum off the hold down spring and crossbar spring were just sitting inside the drum, the adjuster cable, guide, and lever were missing as was the bottom spring. I bought a new hardware kit and a new adjuster kit. got everything put together and when I hooked the bottom spring to the front shoe and to the adjuster lever and hooked the lever to the rear shoe the lever broke where it connects to the shoe, I bought a new lever and it broke at the same place. I am installing the lever by putting a screwdriver through thehole that the cable attaches to and prying off the backing plate and as soon as the lever hooks the shoe it breaks. am I doing something wrong or did I by some bad turn of luck get to defective parts in a row.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
All that should assemble with the drum off...you should not have to attach anything after the shoes and parking brake cable are attached and the hold down kit is in place...

Been a while since I did my brakes but, typically, the parking brake goes on the shoe before you put the hold down hardware on...then the adjuster goes between the shoes and then the springs are put on last...

Once that is done slap them back and forth a few times and make sure they are on the contact points for the shoes (put grease on the contact spots before installing the shoes)...

Then the brakes can be adjusted out using a screw driver or other through the key...and if that doesn't work or you need to adjust more you can do it manually by backing up and hitting the brakes hard...

If the parking brake cables are not seized you may need to adjust the parking brake cable a bit to tighten up the cable from the pedal...but it almost sounds like your cable may be seized...

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That is the adjuster...the one with the loop on one end...maybe what you need is a diagram of assembled brakes the way they should look before you put the drums on...I usually take a pic now before I take them apart or pull both wheels so I can check the other side for how it goes together...

But, anyhow, I've never had a brake part break that often so something is either not being installed properly to begin with or it is over adjusted (meaning your brakes would lock up on you)...

I will see if I can dig up a assembled brake pic and post it here...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9282966%2Bw750%2Bst0/0704_mufp_16_z%2Bbrake_system%2Badjust_drum_brakes.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/486992-removing-brake-drums-help-needed-2.html&h=480&w=640&sz=74&tbnid=wcIFcMFDuJa8ZM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=131&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFord%2Bdrum%2Bbrake%2Bassembly%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Ford+drum+brake+assembly&usg=__cwLqNWM1_M_ATrkq9j78LxRwFIs=&docid=DgeGABrz5SF21M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WzhyUPOCG-nWyQGFhoCgAQ&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAw&dur=1801

The above image shows a Ford drum brake assembled...you can see how that is all together before the drum is put back on...the hoop with the hook on the end connects into the loop on the adjuster part...and it is all done without having to connect anything afterwards...

The parking brake feeds through the front of the backing plate (towards engine) so this is actually a shot of the passenger side brakes...the driver side is the same but reversed...meaning the parts go on so that the adjuster wheel is at the rear of the assembly on both sides...

Last edited:

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
that part that is between the guys fingers in that pic is what breaks. it breaks where it hooks onto the bottom of the rear shoe. it breaks as soon as its connected. I know I suck at explaining things over the intrawebz . if anybody is local around oakridge id happily pay for some assistance. I've never had a problem doing drum brakes but for some reason this is kicking my azz.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Is it breaking or is it being sheered? The parking brake connection is right behind that and if it is too close to the shoe backing as soon as you pump the brake pedal those two pieces can slide across each other and if there is anything between them it will get sheered off...like the clip to hold the adjuster pawl or whatever it is called in place...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I bought a new lever and it broke at the same place. I am installing the lever by putting a screwdriver through thehole that the cable attaches to and prying off the backing plate and as soon as the lever hooks the shoe it breaks. am I doing something wrong or did I by some bad turn of luck get to defective parts in a row.
OK, just reread this and now I see it better...not your explanation but my reading comprehension...lol

Here is how I do that part...I put the hook from the wired attached to the top in the hole, slip the hook for the adjuster into place...then I attach the spring to the shoe on the opposite side, and with a pair of vice grips attached firmly (that is the key) to the hook end of the spring but far enough away from the hook to allow you to actually hook it onto the adjuster...then pull (hard) on the spring so that it can be attached to the loop on the adjuster...

Try it that way...might work better...but ensure that the vice grips are tight on the spring hook end...maybe clamp them just at the end of the coil part where it curves a bit to ensure that the grips don't slip when pulling the spring over to the loop...that can be very painful when the grips slip off and you mash your hand on something pointy...as is the case most of the time...

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
Is it breaking or is it being sheered? The parking brake connection is right behind that and if it is too close to the shoe backing as soon as you pump the brake pedal those two pieces can slide across each other and if there is anything between them it will get sheered off...like the clip to hold the adjuster pawl or whatever it is called in place...
the hook that attaches to the shoe bends straight and cracks along the inside corner. it almost seems to me the spring is just pulling it way too hard but I did triple check the part. number

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I read that correctly, your problem is basically how mark explained it. Grab the spring not the pawl. Or for the cable, hoow it to the pawl after the spring, and pull cable to the stud up top. You can get a brake tool with hooks, straight pick and a plier form thingy for $10, and a haynes (although not always THAT helpful) for $20 at the store. Personally, I never leave home without either. Keep it in the truck's tool box.

Edit: that tool has saved me hours of aggervation. So worth it.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
If I read that correctly, your problem is basically how mark explained it. Grab the spring not the pawl. Or for the cable, hoow it to the pawl after the spring, and pull cable to the stud up top. You can get a brake tool with hooks, straight pick and a plier form thingy for $10, and a haynes (although not always THAT helpful) for $20 at the store. Personally, I never leave home without either. Keep it in the truck's tool box.

Edit: that tool has saved me hours of aggervation. So worth it.
I have a haynes and its crap. ill try doing it that way when it dries up tommorow

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what the problem is if it's not from you pulling on the pawl then. I did mine to the book and it works just fine. I doubt you got bad parts but its possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals