• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body roll/Replacement springs advice...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay on my 92 ranger 2wd extended cab 2.3 w/ the dreaded i beam front end...i have a problem i would like to rectify! when making turns and corners above 20mph my body on my trk rolls like you wouldnt believe, about 6 inches or so sometimes, and my rear end likes to sway (tire outside of wheelwell when looking in mirror...) i found the article in the tech library about the traction bars for the rear, looks promising and may have to try. my front end is whats puzzling me, i have the factory sway bar but you could have fooled my as to why its on there. i have thought about (and looked for) stiffer springs for the front end, ive only found load control springs on summit and not sure how much stiffer they are. i did the drift thing and such and i know stiffer springs reduce body roll and help w/ cornering, i would like to know there are any springs available on the market that are stock ride height and stiffer to help reduce this problem or if others have had this problem and how did they correct it. i bought the trk used and it did this since i bought it, the chassis bushings all appear to be brand new and the other components (ball joints tie rods sway bar end links etc) all look okay, the shocks are cheap and are prob on their way out and i plan to replace them, just want to fix all my problems in one lift of the jack if possible. thx for any and all replies.

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
shocks you can do quick and easy... I'd start there... Not sure how high a spring rate you'd want to run in the front, it could get unmanageably rough at some point.

I've never had much of a problem with body roll, and im 6" lifted with no swaybar...

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
x2 on the shocks. A set of good, high-pressure gas-charged shocks would make a pretty huge difference in the overall "feel" of the truck.

As far as coils w/ increased spring rates, you can use springs from a 91-94 4-door exploder as well as from an extended-cab, 4 liter ranger or b4000 pickup. Moog also makes "cargo coils" for the aforementioned vehicles that have a pretty nice boost in spring rates. With any of these options, you will see a marked increase in cornering stability and overall ride stiffness, especially if combined with some good gas shocks. You can also expect about a 1" increase in ride height and may need to use some eccentric c-bushings to get the alignment back into spec.

Hopefully this is the info you were looking for, good luck!

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Shocks.

Now go back and read the section about broken lower shock mounts.

Then re-read it.

Then research possible fixes here.

THEN do the job. Trust me. Working on it right now.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
had the rear shock issue on my 93 ranger 3.0 4wd. i see your point but even my previous owner noticed it, i was changing my oil yesterday and seen they installed spring wedges in the front springs to try and help. i think im going to do the load control springs from moog since they are decent in price. ill let you know how they do when i do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals