• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body bushing bolt questions.....

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What diameter and what length are those little suckers?
I will be installing new rear cab brackets, and new bushings ( all12 )
Here soon and I am certain I will need to replace at least two of them.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
if you live near or in the rust belt you will need a new bolt for any bushing you decide to replace. the original bushings have a metal sleeve with a barb in the middle of each bushing. when the upper and lower get pushed together they "click" and are now somewhat stuck together. the bolt that goes through the middle and holds it all together is most likely rusted to the sleeve after 17 years of service. ive found it best to cut the bolts with a sawzall or angle grinder so that you can remove the bottom bushing and then asess the situation on the uppers and then take them out.

to determine the length of the bolts measure the overall height of the replacement bushings and add 2". i used 1/2" diameter bolts with short sections of conduit (the length of the bushing) slid over them to keep the bushings centered on the bolt, which will then be centered in the mount if they are polyurethane bushings.

Last edited:

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks.
Yeah they will be Polyurethane. Buying a full set for $60.39 shipped online.
My brackets came today and I have to say although they feel light in the hand they seem to be very , very sturdy. Here is a pic of one of them. I used precision steel rule on it and the material is right at 3/16 nominal thickness.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
those are the same ones i bought for my little brothers 90'. i welded the seams up on mine, but even without its a very solid piece. good luck with the bolts, ive gotta refill my acetylene tank before i change his, id rather burn them out and make a stink than waste a bunch of sawzall blades on his, theyre really bad!

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Grind'em and save the gas and blades.

Just put on a cutting disc to get the remains of the bracket off.
Thats exactly what I'll be doing. Just a little pressure a glove,glasses and a long sleeve shirt is all it takes.
Did the rear leaf spring hangers like that as well as the radius arm brackets ( well simply ground the rivets off there. No old brackets to cut off from them.)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals