• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'blew' the engine in our john deere, need advice.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmm.. i just did an oil change in like may.. and i checked it regularly, UNTIL today.. i just started it up and drove it over here before looking it over.. i know i checked it last time cuz it was pretty dirty, and i said i was gonna do it next spring.. there was some blue smoke on the pass before it died.. so maybe a ring or something had been going bad too, so it burned excessive oil the last time i mowed (i did half the lawn by headlights).. the combo of burning, leaking (will have to check the barn floor), and running it real low for a few minutes did it in, by the time i had the right level, the damage had been done i guess..

thanks for all the help, and if anyone local has a motor, lemme know :)

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Con rod go boom!

that crack on the side of the block is probably from the conrod smacking up against the side of the block when it let go.

pull the motor, open the crank case, and look at the crankshaft journal where the conrod connects. check for damage. it may be ok because its cast iron and the conrod is aluminum and there is a bushing that went between them.

if the crank checks out, then go guy a new conrod and put it in. lot cheaper than a new engine. IMHO it would be worth it because kohlers are really good motors. i have one in my 1963 Cub Cadet. still runs strong. i also had one on a Scag commercial mower that i rebuilt. didnt have to touch the motor though.

good luck!

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
um, theres no bushing or bearing between the crank and the conecting rod on these engines, not on the new ones anyways. Its cheeper to machiene a bearing surface onto the rod, spray weld some bearing materieal onto it, and call it done

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What type of machine is it?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
and, um, also, crack in the block...um, so buying a new conecting rod wont do a whole lot when you have a big effin hole in the block. Shit, like i said, they are disposable tools now, thats how they were built. Used motor, dont think about anything else.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be looking into swapping a cheaper more available engine into that mower, keep an eye out for a cheap used mower that runs and do some measuring for fitment if you like the Deere better than the potential donar. At least in didn't die in spring so you have some time to work on it.

If they really are that disposable I would keep that in mind when you decide to replace the mower. You can get one about the same size for less than half the price that is also a throw away model, green paint sold seperately.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Am I the only one that still doesn't know what machine this is?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a John Deere LT150 riding lawn mower.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's a John Deere LT150 riding lawn mower.
correct.. its still depressing that a $3000 mower is a throw-away.. im planning to take the motor out, see how things mount up.. and then find a used motor that'll work..

my girlfriend's little brother might have one, he's been modifying lawnmowers for woods rigs for a few years now :icon_rofl: kids do crazy things before they have are old enough to drive... like when i bought my 4 wheeler, then i got a car, and a truck, now i barely use the thing...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Am I the only one that still doesn't know what machine this is?
I did that too, clicked on it from outside the "Non RBV Tech" forum and it automatically goes to the second page, of which the first post would pass for a sketchy first post of a thread.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I see now. Duh.

Hell yeah, get a cheap piece of crap motor to toss in there. I have a serious rod knock in my 25hp Kohler right now. Once it grenades I'm putting the 11hp Briggs and Stratton I salvaged from my grandpa's old '83 Sears rider.

When I moved here I got that '83 rider from my Grandma. My neighbor (who I bought the house from--he built a new one nearby) said to get a Kohler with an oil pump because he killed his first couple splash lubed Briggs on the steep hills. So I did in '99 and now the Kohler is dying after 8 years. I even have an oil pressure gauge on it so I think the motor is just crap.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
and, um, also, crack in the block...um, so buying a new conecting rod wont do a whole lot when you have a big effin hole in the block. Shit, like i said, they are disposable tools now, thats how they were built. Used motor, dont think about anything else.
i had a 6hp tecumseh snowblower engine that threw a rod. it cracked the block too. it didnt matter though because its not a structural area of the block. i smacked it with a hammer to push it back in and put some JB weld on it. i then put a new conrod in and put it all back together and it has been running fine since. that was 4 years ago.

since it is a crack and not a big hole, this repair is an option.

um, theres no bushing or bearing between the crank and the conecting rod on these engines, not on the new ones anyways. Its cheeper to machiene a bearing surface onto the rod, spray weld some bearing materieal onto it, and call it done
ok well some do and some dont. i had an 8hp briggs that used bushings. that one was probably less than 15 years old at this point.

if i were you i wouldnt throw away that kohler so fast. they are a real good motor. better than briggs and way better than tecumseh.

I am just trying to help out. i have been fixing lawnequipment since i was 10 years old. im just telling him how i would do it and why.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals