• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blazer overhead console install

Ingandreal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So i went to my local Pull a Part yesterday looking for a explorer overhead console, and couldnt find any as we all know theyre popular as well as the dissapearing sliding back glass for the Ext cab. So as i was walking out, i came across a 1998 Blazer with a full overhead console with 4 map lights, courtesy lighting, Temp, Compass, MPG AVG, Tank Range, avg speed, 3 door garage door buttons built in, CD compartment and Sunglass holder. I always thought it would be nice to have one of these in a ranger, so i grabbed it and got away for less than 5 $. The consol is in perfect condition and i cut off the wires between the Clips and the main wiring harness. I placed it up on my headliner and it looks like it will fit well. Tomarrow I plan to wire it all up and mount it. Im planning on writing up the entire install for the rest of the forum members. Though its a chevy part, it seems to fit well and t wiring is almost the same as the explorer wires and It has wires to go to the Data system in the computer. Im looking into finding a way to get this hooked up so i can get the AVG MPG and such to work. I will keep you all posted and heres some pics of a close match to what i have.

Was wondering if anyone knows if the 93 4.0 computer has a feed that outputs the data needed to fullfill the needs of the MPG/Speed part of my Driver Info Console?

Last edited:

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i went to my local Pull a Part yesterday looking for a explorer overhead console, and couldnt find any as we all know theyre popular as well as the dissapearing sliding back glass for the Ext cab. So as i was walking out, i came across a 1998 Blazer with a full overhead console with 4 map lights, courtesy lighting, Temp, Compass, MPG AVG, Tank Range, avg speed, 3 door garage door buttons built in, CD compartment and Sunglass holder. I always thought it would be nice to have one of these in a ranger, so i grabbed it and got away for less than 5 $. The consol is in perfect condition and i cut off the wires between the Clips and the main wiring harness. I placed it up on my headliner and it looks like it will fit well. Tomarrow I plan to wire it all up and mount it. Im planning on writing up the entire install for the rest of the forum members. Though its a chevy part, it seems to fit well and t wiring is almost the same as the explorer wires and It has wires to go to the Data system in the computer. Im looking into finding a way to get this hooked up so i can get the AVG MPG and such to work. I will keep you all posted and heres some pics of a close match to what i have.

Was wondering if anyone knows if the 93 4.0 computer has a feed that outputs the data needed to fullfill the needs of the MPG/Speed part of my Driver Info Console?
Fuel flow probably comes from Pin 34 on the computer, it won't be drilled out on your computer so you will have to do so manually (at least, it does on the 2.3 computer). The speed will come from the same cable that the Explorer OHC wants hooked up.

That said, I would highly not expect it to work. I doubt that Ford and Chevy use the same style of signal for fuel flow, and probably not for speed either.

Ingandreal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel flow probably comes from Pin 34 on the computer, it won't be drilled out on your computer so you will have to do so manually (at least, it does on the 2.3 computer). The speed will come from the same cable that the Explorer OHC wants hooked up.

That said, I would highly not expect it to work. I doubt that Ford and Chevy use the same style of signal for fuel flow, and probably not for speed either.
Well i wire everything up and i have all the lights working, Easy part... I also have the display illuminating and showing direction, but the problem is it doesnt change when i turn. I hooked up the Vss to the CC Gray/blk wire like in the explorer to ranger mod. So after reading on a blazer forum, i found how to reset the compass and did so but now is just reading C for the direction. I dont know where to go from here so im going to stop at the local pull a part again and see if they have a 97 computer for the display because it runs off a simpler signal than the Data Class 2 signal for Vss. Im hoping this may work, if not i plan to see if i can get a display out of an explorer and maybe it will fit into identically into the encasing. I hvent gotten the temp sensor wired because i still hve to get that off the blazer at Pull a Part. If anyone has ne info on blazer consoles that would help me id appreciate it

irishblessing

that thing is huge it looks like it almost reachs to the back of the cab

Ingandreal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
that thing is huge it looks like it almost reachs to the back of the cab
Yeaa it does, id say theres 8-10 inches between the back window and the back of the console. Looks great tho. Doesnt match up perfect to the ceiling lines so when i wrap my headliner again, im gonna glue some foam underneath t fix the gapps... should look great.

Off topic but does anyone know if a 1988 rangr extend cab window would fit my 93 ext cab? they both bolt in and i cant finda used slider window in the 93+ bt i found a 1988 at the Pull a Part thats almost already removed

Last edited:

Ingandreal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So went to the local PAP again today to look for the TEMP/COMPASS only display (other 1 i have has speed avg, est economy, MPG and such) and i grabbed the temp sensor off the Radiator mount on the blazer. So after work i pulleed down the display i had, cut the wires and re wired everything to the new display. I put it back into the Console and then mounted the Temp sensor and then Calibrated it. Works great!... Im guessing that the VSS is working because its taking readings constantly and showing the right direction and temperature so it doesnt appear to have a problem with the Ford VSS. Im guessing that if i took a Explorer Display and the Blazer display and put them side by side they would be the same. So in a few days Im going to re headline my truck and add some foam to bridge the slight gap in the front and then ill take pics and do write up on the whole thing, Wiring, Cutting, Mounting, Display calb and funct, and such. Hope youll enjoy it and maybe ill be seeing some rangers around with it!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I like it. Looks great.

JamesC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
350 chev/3.0
Im doing this now I wasn't sure if the GM unit would work with the Ford VSS signal as the ford signal is 8000ppm and the gm signal is 4000ppm so the unit would think your driving twice as fast. I haven't mounted mine yet but i had it connected with jumper wires and the temperature was working but the compass was somewhat erratic. I think playing with the variance zone might fix that. The unit looks like it needs slight modifications to match the headliner

Mine was out of a 2003 blazer and has temp and compass, no mpg or additional stuff.

jeremyctry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could someone post a walkthrough of the installation process wiring etc: I have one I would like to install in my 2000 ranger.

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Well i wire everything up and i have all the lights working, Easy part... I also have the display illuminating and showing direction, but the problem is it doesnt change when i turn. I hooked up the Vss to the CC Gray/blk wire like in the explorer to ranger mod. So after reading on a blazer forum, i found how to reset the compass and did so but now is just reading C for the direction. I dont know where to go from here so im going to stop at the local pull a part again and see if they have a 97 computer for the display because it runs off a simpler signal than the Data Class 2 signal for Vss. Im hoping this may work, if not i plan to see if i can get a display out of an explorer and maybe it will fit into identically into the encasing. I hvent gotten the temp sensor wired because i still hve to get that off the blazer at Pull a Part. If anyone has ne info on blazer consoles that would help me id appreciate it
Id say the C direction is to indicate you are in calibration mode - try rolling in circles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals